Forza Azzure


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lombardy » Milan
July 22nd 2008
Published: July 22nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

OOOkay made it even farther south to Italy and after four nights staying at people's houses we've realized how much better it is than hostels. From the last entry we spent one more night in Paris, splurging by going to the famous Relais L'Entrecote for diner. They only have one item on the menu, two steaks and a plate full of fries, but the secret sauce made it one of the top three meals of the trip. This is mentioned because the next night in Paris waiting for the train, Jordan decided one item on the menu that looked like a steak, andouillette grille, which looked like a gross fat sausage and smelled like feet and smoke. An internet search later revealed this is actually the stomach and colon of a pig, whose "pungent smell can be off-putting to diners" according to wikipedia. He managed to eat about 3/4 of it and learned a very important lesson. With this we decided to leave Paris and make our way to Geneva to meet a friend of Dave's from school, Laura Adcroft.

The first morning in Geneva we drove up into the Alps to a tree climbing area complete with ziplines and obstacle courses. For those of you who have never seen this area, basically everywhere you look is like a postcard with views of Lake Geneva, the vineyards and the mountains. After an hour or two of out first physical activity in weeks the three of us were exhausted and decided to spend the rest of the day at the many beaces around the city and enjoy the plus 30 weather. That night we were treated to another feast at the Adcroft's and made our way to the city that night for some pints and to catch up on old AIS memories (well two of the three did). Dave also laid the groundwork for an EU passport by planning his marriage to Laura. The following morning we toured the old town, and like six year olds Dave and Jord had to run out and touch the famous fountain in front of the city. It was wet.

That afternoon we took the most scenic train ride of the trip around Lake Geneva, though the Alps, beside Lake Como and into Milan. Much to Dave's dismay George Clooney was nowhere to be seen at his place around Lake Como. There goes another chance to an easy life. Right after leaving the train station we met Dave Morris' brother Frank Morris, preventing the usual ritual of stumbling around the central station for an hour everytime we make it to a new city. He took them to his apartment downtown and spoiled them again with another great home cooked meal. Frank gave us a tour and highlighted the main sights of the city so the following morning we made our way out and saw the Duomo, Castille and the Milan fashion district. As one can imagine, Jordan was very happy about the last sight. Very trendy. Very expensive. This morning we got up and planned to check out the Last Supper, but apparently there is a two month waiting list so it will have to wait for another time in Milan. We make our way to Florence this afternoon and unfortunately back to the world of hostels, oh well.

Hope everything is good at home and thanks to our secret sources for giving us all the gossip from Canada, talk to you soon.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0468s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb