There's a windmill at the end of my rue


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
May 15th 2008
Published: May 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We are coming to the end of 10 fantastic days in Montmartre, Paris.
It all began with a very long and interesting days travel from Cairo. Early morning flight from Cairo to Heathrow. Train from Heathrow to Kingscross Station (told the kids we would look for platform 9 and 3/4 next time we are in London), and then a very smooth train trip under the channel to Paris via the Eurostar.
We are staying at an apartment arranged for us by Kate and Bill (thanks guys). When we arrived the kids collapsed on the double bed and were asleep before you could say "surrender monkey". Bron and I slept on their beds.
The previous few weeks/months we have been very careful what we eat and drink. We were craving for the old "meat and three veg." - we didn't actually eat much meat, and I'm not sure if bread/wine/cheese are classified as vegetables ! In Montmartre we found ourself immersed in amazing sights and smells that we had all but forgotten. To walk along the streets is a joy.
Our Paris experience began with a walking tour of Montmartre......there is a windmill at the end of our rue (street). Not the Moulin Rouge, but one of the few others that are still in existance. Also around the corner (and up a few steps) is the Sacre Coeur church which displays great views over Paris. We enjoyed our picnics on the grass below the Sacre Coeur, listening to buskers, while taking in the view.
The Eiffel tower was viewed with a clear sky and a bit of sweat, 670 steps up, and back.
Our central Pari walking day included the Notre Dame, walking along the river Seine, the impressive exterior of the Louvre, the Champs of Elyseeeeee,and then finally the Arc de Triumph.
The Louvre (inside) was magnificent, with the building itself being almost as impressive as the exhibits. We had our lunch break in the forecourt of the Louvre; bagettes next to the glass pyramid and water fountains.
Paris Disney was huge, but on our day of visitation the crowds were not huge. Maddy and Carl went on the Jules Verne inspired 'Space Mountain' roller coaster which is endured in complete darkness. I'm now inspired to read "80,000 leagues under the sea" , to see what the hell was he thinking of
Artists in MontmartreArtists in MontmartreArtists in Montmartre

Albert being sketched
!!
Paris has supplied us with lots of great experiences, but I think that we would all agree that the highlight has been living for a week and a half in the magnificent Montmartre region.
Our Paris stay was saddened by the news of the passing of our beloved dog Wishy. He will be surely missed. Thanks to David for his vetinarian care, and brother Ron for looking after Wishy in our absence.






Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Notre DameNotre Dame
Notre Dame

beautiful stained glass windows
Notre DameNotre Dame
Notre Dame

Back view of Notre Dame
Le LouvreLe Louvre
Le Louvre

Beautiful lunch spot
Moulin RougeMoulin Rouge
Moulin Rouge

Don't make me blush!
Grand SphinxGrand Sphinx
Grand Sphinx

Egyptian sphinx at the Louvre


24th May 2008

Hello
Hello. We are a family of 4 travelling round Asia. We are from America. We also have a travelling blog set up, and one day when we were taking a look at other peoples adventures, we saw one of your blogs. Ever since we have been reading your about your marvellous adventures. Your holiday sounds very exciting, and we wish we were on the same holiday. When we read one of your blogs to our kids, one of them asked, "Why aren't we on a 6 month holiday? We are currently in China. We will send in more comments to you soon. Well, bye! From ??????????????

Tot: 0.177s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0617s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb