Day - 'I lost count...'


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
July 23rd 2007
Published: July 23rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hello all,
We're to begin? Possibly where i last left off?
Well, i'll start by telling everyone im typing on a French keyboard, but using an english web browser - which means the letters on my keyboard are laid out the french way, but when i push a button the english layout comes out. Very annoying...
Anyway, I think the last blog i wrote was from London - which means it's been a while.
I met up with Scott Werner in London, we had a great time. The next day, after finishing off my London sightseeing, i caught a train to Orpington, the closest train station to where scott is staying. I spent the next two nights in Scott's Activities camp meeting the other volunteers there - a few French, a few Polish and some more Aussies! These people were definetly the highlight of Downe as apart from the Activities camp, the only claim to fame it has is that Charles Darwin lived there.
After leaving Downe I went back to London, where i proceeded (or attempted to) catch a coach to Avesbury. But something went wrong. After about 20mins of bus-ride journeying i managed to deduce that the town i was heading to was not Avesbury afterall, but a place called Amesbury! So here i was on a coach heading to a place i had no idea where it was, and couldn't find it on any map or in my trusty lonely planet guide.
Long story cut short - it was 99% my 'trusty' guidebook's fault. It was the guidebook who had the two towns confused, and i only realised this after i had prematurely gotten of the coach - when all along i was heading to the right destination!
In the end i made it to the very touristy destination i was looking for - Stonehenge. Stonehenge: what an unusual place. After using a few of my con tricks to get onto a fully guided tour bus for the same price as the normal public transport bus, i arrived to Stonehenge fulled to the brim with all the theories and information i could handle. Contradictory to what i was expecting, the tacky, touristy feel about it ended at the souveneir shop and as i actually got into the enclosure i could feel it had an eeriness about it. Hard to explain, but something you could only experience by seeing it for yourself.
Anyway, after that i headed south to Brighton, a lovely beach town on the coast.
Spent my last night in England in a student accomodation house and met an american with similar plans to me. After disscussing with him the cheapest way to get across the giant channel we were sleeping beside, to get away from Pommy land, I decided to put these plans into action. The next day, i headed to a town called Newhaven, and caught the ferry to Le Havre, France.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0528s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb