Champagne


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Champagne-Ardenne » Reims
July 27th 2012
Published: July 28th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Veuve Clicquot PonsardinVeuve Clicquot PonsardinVeuve Clicquot Ponsardin

Millions of bottles are stored in the caves. The were damp and cold - perfect for storing champagne.
With tickets for the Regional Train in hand we found the East Station easily and found our seats easily (after finding a chocolate croissant). A 45 minute ride brought us to Reims, where Champagne come from.

We stopped the Notre Dame Cathedral where 25 kings of France were crowned - quite a dinstiction!

A hike to the other end of town in one hundred percent humidity and thirty degree heat brought us to Veuve Clicquot Ponsardin. The tasting tour we booked was limited to eight people and was excellent. Our guide, a young lady from Russia, gave a clear explanation of how the wines become classified based on where the grapes are grown. An aroma garden of plantings from around the world allowed us to touch, taste and smell plants and get a feeling for what vintners experience when tasting wines.

The next room was used to introduce the four vintage champagnes that we were experience at the end. Two glasses sat in front of each bottle were filled with an item like herbs, teas, cinnamon and nuts. This was to demonstrate the overtones of each champange.

Down, down, down the stairs into the chalky caves -
Mmmmm....Mmmmm....Mmmmm....

1988, 1989, 2004, 2004.
24 kilometres of caves! The tasting with cheese was in the chilly cellar (12 degrees) and very enjoyable.

From there we headed to Tattinger, but it was closed for lunch, so we walked across town (about 2 km - I wonder if we could have done it underground?) until we arrived at G. H. Mumm. Hot and tipsy from the previous tasting, the half-hour wait was appreciated.

With a little time to spare, we headed up to see Eisenhower's War Room where the papers were signed that ended World War II. The train ride back went smoothly. Dinner was rather unremarkable, but we made it back to the room to watch the opening ceremonies of the Olympics in England.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Roman GateRoman Gate
Roman Gate

The oldest Roman gate.
It ended right here.It ended right here.
It ended right here.

Not an elaborate room by any means. The maps of train routes covered the walls.


29th July 2012

Feeling young?
The good thing about visiting ancient ruins and museums is that it makes you feel very young

Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0447s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb