St Malo to Nice


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Centre
September 23rd 2019
Published: September 23rd 2019
Edit Blog Post

Many villages in this area end with 'Olt' which means 'Lot' in the old Occitan dialect. St-Geniez-d'Olt lies between the Aubrac, a volcanic granite plateau and the limestone plateau of the Grands Causses.

Breakfast was basic but ok and I did have the "special bread". Back in the room it was washing and sorting things out time before spending some time in Reception where we could access the internet.

After a stroll round the town we had a pizza each for lunch. This was more than we wanted really but the supermarket was closed and it was either pizza or a full scale restaurant lunch.

The people of this area are known as 'marmots'. According to legend two children befriended a marmot as a pet. One day it ran away and they followed it. A great storm struck the town and several houses, including theirs, were washed away. So the marmot had saved their lives. On the main bridge crossing Le Lot there is a statue of two children and the marmot.

Then more time in the hotel for reading and puzzles and looking at tomorrow's route and some time sat in Reception for the internet. We never saw anyone else in there so it was like having our own lounge. It rained quite heavily in the afternoon but we would rather it rained on rest days than when we are on the bike.

Unfortunately, Adam skyped us just as we got back to the room which wasn't good as internet access was poor. What a shame. Hopefully we will manage one night during the week after the children are home from nursery and school.

Later we dined at the Hotel de France again . I had the same meal as last night and Paul had that too. He said his burger last night hadn't been very good. There were two coach parties in the hotel. (Last night there had been one coach party) . As we walked past our hotel restaurant on the way home there were two people in it. Oh dear. And so to bed.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.19s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0529s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb