Day Eleven - Chillin' and Checking Out Château de Chenonceau


Advertisement
Europe » France » Centre » Chenonceaux
December 31st 2012
Published: September 1st 2013
Edit Blog Post

Happy Birthday to me. I suppose this was a milepost as I turned 60 today and that monumental achievement was the whole reason I got to choose the itinerary for this trip, but it really seemed like just any other day to me when we woke up. As far as I was concerned, everyday of this vacation was special because I was not at work and I was seeing all kinds of new things that really interested me. I ... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 116, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

The Carving AreaThe Carving Area
The Carving Area

The desk to the right was where the butcher carved-up the sausages and meats while the copper pot to the left was used to brew the Kool-Aide the peasants were forced to drink in order to put up with all this nonsense.
Back UpstairsBack Upstairs
Back Upstairs

This bedroom back on the ground floor is called the "Francois I Bedroom". He visited the castle twice. I don't get it.
No Information AvailabeNo Information Availabe
No Information Availabe

There was no explanation of who this stunner might be except that it was painted by a member of the Dutch School. I couldn't find her Facebook page either. I assume she died of strangulation.
These Guys Visit Once or Twice and They Name the Rooms After Them?These Guys Visit Once or Twice and They Name the Rooms After Them?
These Guys Visit Once or Twice and They Name the Rooms After Them?

It wasn't that big a house so why did they name one of only about ten entire rooms after Louis XIV? The "Pink Room" would've made more sense. I guess it's a French thing.
Screwy LouieScrewy Louie
Screwy Louie

The guy has a room named after himself so I guess he at least gets to hang his picture in the room. You think that's a rug?
Looks Like a BedLooks Like a Bed
Looks Like a Bed

We then headed upstairs. The first room we visited was the "Five Queens Bedroom" so called because of Cather de'Medici's two daughters and three daughter-in-laws who all became queens themselves. You didn't have to live here to get a room named after you I guess.
A Well-Appointed Bedroom I Must SayA Well-Appointed Bedroom I Must Say
A Well-Appointed Bedroom I Must Say

This was probably the best-decorated room in the chateau. The artwork was exquisite. And they even had track lighting.
Who Stole All the Furniture?Who Stole All the Furniture?
Who Stole All the Furniture?

Once again a room that I suspect never really looked like this way back when. Like almost all the old chateaus and homes of the wealthy, Chenonceau was looted during the French Revolution and most of the really historic stuff was destroyed.
Cesar of Vendôme's BedroomCesar of Vendôme's Bedroom
Cesar of Vendôme's Bedroom

At least this guy owned the castle. He deserves to have a room named after himself. He must've enjoyed having people watch him sleep. Quirky.
Another Fireplace DecorationAnother Fireplace Decoration
Another Fireplace Decoration

At this point we had caught up again with the Asian horde and it was impossible to get a clear shot of this bedroom belonging to the son of King Henry IV and Gabrielle d'Estrées. I concentrated my photographic essay up above the milling crowd.
A Real Man's RoomA Real Man's Room
A Real Man's Room

Decorating one's room with shooting cannons along the ceiling would look great in any man cave. We salute you Cesar of Vendome. I wish I might have actually seen the rest of your room.
Looking Out from Catherine Briçonnet's HallLooking Out from Catherine Briçonnet's Hall
Looking Out from Catherine Briçonnet's Hall

The weather was getting nicer as our indoor tour drew to a close. By now the girls were itchin' to get to the gift shop. I was getting a little weary of looking at pink bedrooms myself.
One Last Floor to ExploreOne Last Floor to Explore
One Last Floor to Explore

Up on the second floor we were impressed by the arches in this hallway. It actually comes from a much later period than the mostly Renaissance period rooms below.
OH NO!  More bedrooms!OH NO!  More bedrooms!
OH NO! More bedrooms!

Up here we soon came to yet another bedroom. At least it wasn't pink. This is Louise de Lorraine's Bedroom. According to the official website: "Following the assassination of her husband King Henry III, Louise of Lorraine retired to Chenonceau in meditation and prayer. Her bedroom has been reconstructed around the original ceiling."
Another Pretty TreeAnother Pretty Tree
Another Pretty Tree

I wonder if there ever were Christmas trees in Chenonceau back in its heyday? hought the idea of the Christmas tree was a German invention. I can't see the French stealing any ideas from Germany.
Telephoto Shot of the Chateau's RoofTelephoto Shot of the Chateau's Roof
Telephoto Shot of the Chateau's Roof

I always thought the lion was a symbol of England's kings. Again, I am confused.
The Obligatory Gargoyle SHotThe Obligatory Gargoyle SHot
The Obligatory Gargoyle SHot

I was particularly impressed by this one since it looks similar to the fake one I brought home from Mont St. Michel.
She Finally Found that Bench She Was Looking forShe Finally Found that Bench She Was Looking for
She Finally Found that Bench She Was Looking for

I don't know if she was asleep or not, but as Gail, her mother and I walked through the gardens Cassie decided she had had enough.
On Closer Inspection...On Closer Inspection...
On Closer Inspection...

It wasn't a bench but the side of the big fountain in de'Medici's gardens. Meanwhile I was trying to find the nearest WC.



Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 14; dbt: 0.0325s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 992.5kb