Delights in Dijon...or 'Foodie Heaven!'


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Burgundy » Dijon
July 7th 2016
Published: July 7th 2016
Edit Blog Post

St BernardSt BernardSt Bernard

We feel blessed each time we pass this charitable saint!
Tuesday 5 July 2016

Market shopping day!

Shopping trolley/jeep in hand we left Villa Pernot and strolled along Rue Courtepee, past St Bernard Square and headed to Les Halles, the food market. We shall let the photos speak for themselves.



St. Bernard Square is dominated by the statue of the holy child of Fontaine-lès-Dijon. He was born of Burgundian landowning aristocracy in 1090. Both his parents were exceptional models of virtue. Bernard was raised in a family that learned deep respect for mercy, justice and loyal affection for others. He had a strong desire to serve others in charity. In 1115 he founded the Abbey of Clairvaux. Enough history lesson for now!



There are seats placed to the front and either side of this towering statue of St Bernard. Trees and flowers add to the ambience. A pleasant place for contemplation before and after market shopping!



It’s a delightful walk around this area of Dijon from ‘Villa Pernot’. Lyn and Neville’s apartment is part of what was once the Pernot Biscuit Factory, hence, Villa Pernot. It, too, has an interesting history, having been built in 1879. More on Villa Pernot
Contemplating under St Bernard?Contemplating under St Bernard?Contemplating under St Bernard?

A stop along the way to the market
later!



What a wonderful experience moving through the market hall to choose just the right produce…the fragrant strawberries and raspberries, cheeses, charcuterie….then Mabel says, “Please don’t buy that, it’s poison!’ Poisson….fish! We all enjoyed a laugh, including Mabel! Lyn cooked the grenadier for our evening meal…delicious!



Burgundian life for us is rich, experiencing daily life, enjoying all the good things this area has to offer.







Wednesday 6 July 2016



Not far on from St Bernard Square is the Tram Station. We decided another car free day was in order, so travelled by tram to visit to Toison-Dor, a shopping centre similar to Chadstone. Carrefour, the supermarket, has 47 checkouts! Mabel and Jan sat and people watched while Lyn and Neville shopped for non-market items. In Mabel’s words…mind-boggling! It was quite entertaining trying to work out why people bought what they did (especially the bulk amounts of toilet paper, paper towel and milk!)


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement


Cheese? Butter?Cheese? Butter?
Cheese? Butter?

Mabel reminisced ... how butter was purchased when she was a youngster
Sweet Potato and Basil SaldSweet Potato and Basil Sald
Sweet Potato and Basil Sald

Lovingly prepared by Madame Smith to accompany the poisson
Delish!Delish!
Delish!

Neville's steak, salad and potatoes


8th July 2016

Delish extraordinaire!
It's looks like you are having a wonderful time, experiencing wonderful culinary delights!

Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0454s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb