Long weekend? Nothing to do? Climb by Nolay fool.

France's flag
Europe » France » Burgundy » Dijon
September 2nd 2009
Published: September 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

What was up for the long weekend of 21 May to 24? Rock climbing shinadigs thats what. Me, Dan, Jen, Mark and Paul all went for a ride from Amsterdam to Nolay in Dan's car. It took as a little over 7 hours to get to our campsite, combined with rain and very little help in English when asking for directions. Needless to say we found the campsite and managed to set up camp in relatively dry conditions.

We went for a quick climb in Cormot - I did a route on top rope - a 5a but didn’t get a chance to complete it - which I was a bit worried about - I hope this wasn’t how the rest of the weekend was going to be like. It started to rain after we all had a turn at climbing a route so we quickly packed up ship then headed to the campsite.
Me and Paul shared a delicious dinner when it stopped raining and then we all eventually drifted off into dream land.

The next morning, Friday, - we went to Saint Denis. It was small but we had it all to ourselves which was good. I got to complete a 4 and a 5a which I was happy about (top rope).

Then we headed up to Rimigny. It was busy full of cute French climber boys when we got there - but eventually got relatively empty around lunch time. I learned how to top rope belay and I also got to finish a 5b - on top rope. I was pretty happy it was my first 5b on a real crag in Europe.

We went for a beer in the old town of Nolay then made some dinner back at the campsite yum.

Saturday we to Cormot - this climbing route was walking distance from our campsite which was pretty sweet. We did some nice routes. I did my first multi pitch route with Jen and Mark which was quite fun. And Dan motivated me to complete a 3 chimney. I was so freaked out by this route - there was too much open space beneath me!!!!!

In the evening after some solid climbing we headed to a yummy French restaurant.

The next day, after stopping at a patisserie, we were on the way to the climb at Fixin. Unfortunately for us it got pretty hot - so we cut climbing short. Which was probably for the best cause poor Dan had to drive about 8 hours to get back to the Dam. It was a well good trip. For more recounts of the event have a read of Dan's blog or check out Dan's photos.

Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


8th December 2009

mmmm yummmy
I love the pics of the food.... well done !

Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 17; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0064s; 1; m:saturn w:www (; sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb