Edam followed by Volendam


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Holland » Edam
September 1st 2009
Published: September 4th 2009
Edit Blog Post

After Texel, I decided to show a “traditional” Dutch town to Diana and Francis. We decided to go check out Edam and Marken. Edam is most well known for its cheese market that happens on Fridays. Although we were not here on a Friday we got to sample some of the delicious cheeses.

I really love Dutch cheese. I never got into cheeses when I was living in Australia, but the Dutch cheese… mmm lekker (tasty). We had a walk around the small town then settled to some cheese and baguette for lunch. Followed by some tasty scrolls and cakes from the bakery.

Following Edam, we decided to catch the bus to Volendam. I had visited Volendam previously with Nadia and I thought it would be nice to take Diana and Francis there.

We had a walk around the city centre. I had some herring - but Francis and Diana decided it wasn’t for them this time. Isabella’s mit fell into the water and a little Dutch boy thought he was being brave by getting it out. He climbed down the bridge and walked along the little kerb. He managed to fetch the mitt out. Unfortunately for him when he got the mitt out he also lost balance and fell into the water.
It would have been about 5 degrees in the water and as you can see by our clothes not that much warmer outside. His dad was not impressed. We felt bad as it wasn’t our intention for him to fall into the water. Nonetheless it was a great day and a nice night. Tuesday was quite sad as Diana and Francis left. I took them to the airport and saw them off before they departed on their flight to London.



Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0513s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb