Chateau Region, France


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Burgundy » Dijon
June 20th 2008
Published: June 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

June 18, 19, 2008

Chateau Region, France

Back on the road again for a few hour drive to Vierzon via Tours. This is very nice country and the home to hundreds of “Chateaus” that were the homes of the rich and famous for a few hundred years. This part of the country has some ancient history and many medieval and Roman Empire ruins. It seems that every town has something “famous” from the “olden” days.

There must have been a contest or something to see who could build the biggest and most churches in these small towns and cities. If you have not been here you would not believe the number and size of these Basilicas, Cathedrals and “neighborhood” churches. In some small centers we saw 4 or 5 very large churches and I don’t know how many smaller churches. One every couple of blocks it seems. For someone who has absolutely no interest in organized religion ( of any flavor ) I have taken a lot of pictures of churches but strictly from an interest in these architectural masterpieces and a nagging question in my mind about the hardships on the people that had to build and support these “Palaces.”

The region is called the Chateau Region for very good reason with literally hundreds of old palaces that are mostly operated as tourist attractions and / or high end accommodation for tourists. A lot of the older castles and palaces have gone to complete ruin.

We spent two days traveling through this region with a few stops to look at some of the sites and ended the travels in Dijon, France. Lots of mustard for sale here as well as all things “ Burgoyne” as this city is at the top end of the Burgundy grape growing region.
Dijon is a very nice city with some old Roman and medieval ruins in the middle of town.

Tomorrow we are “on the road again” and driving to Baden-Baden, Germany for a couple of days in the Black Forest.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0277s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb