Day 25: Auxerre to Auxonne


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Burgundy » Auxerre
March 29th 2011
Published: April 3rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Waking early we set off to explore Auxerre and found some neat little streets and alleys. Like many places we have been to there is much re-construction going on both on the buildings and the streets. Finally leaving Auxerre we headed south again deciding against going to Dijon and instead going past some 30kms to a little village called Auxonne a commune in the Côte-d'Or department in Bourgogne in eastern France, again located on the Saône river. On the way we passed an old abandoned chateau at Saint More and set off to explore it, very cool with a moat and all, it appeared to have been lived in recently but was very run down, sad really. All the time since leaving Paris we have not been on a single motorway and have kept strictly to the secondary road, some have been good and some not so good but by and large way better than the roads at home. Again traveling through some beautiful countryside we arrived at Auxonne and found a camp ground that was open. Auxonne’s single claim to fame, and they exploit it shamelessly, is that Napoleon was stationed there for a couple of years fortifying the town and local barracks, a quaint town but nothing memorable. The campground was ok nestled on the river but he ladies showers and toilets were not functioning so the girls had to use the mens, much to Bree’s dismay. Campground was only ok and the facilities were less than adequate, I rate this at around 5 out of 10, it was cheap though at only 20 Euro.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.374s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 19; qc: 74; dbt: 0.1649s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb