To the Ends of the Earth - In Brittany at Least


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Brittany
May 30th 2015
Published: May 30th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Brittany Coastal DriveBrittany Coastal DriveBrittany Coastal Drive

Globe artichokes
Saturday 30 May 2015

We woke today to find sun and the promise of a fine day for exploring the north western portion of Brittany, the Finistere region. First, however, a hearty breakfast and a quick spot of washing to take advantage of a rare opportunity to dry a few garments outside on a quickly rigged up clothesline. Our farm accommodation here in Plounevez-Lochrist Is truly a home away from home.

A quick consultation with the GPS lady resulted in a decision that we would do a self guided drive around the coastline, exploring whatever roads looked interesting and making as many stops beside the sea as we could, eventually ending up at what may be the most westerly point of Brittany. Of course this must be done with necessary stops for cafe au lait and food from the boulangerie.

A Saturday market in the first town we passed through as well as a wedding gave us reason to make our first stop. Then on to the beach where huge rock formations reared up out of the ground and were scattered along the coast, interspersed with sandy beaches. The coastal communities we passed through seemed a mixture of
Brittany Coastal Drive Brittany Coastal Drive Brittany Coastal Drive

An example of the colourful flowers lining the route
holiday and permanent homes, many built in recent years and set off by colourful spring flowers in many cases. Land not built on was used for crops, notably globe artichokes. These must have been approaching maturity and made an interesting sight with all the round globes standing proudly at attention.

We were surprised to find the coast so built up, as we had imagined this area would be not only a little wild but with little settlement. How wrong we were. Apart from the most exposed parts growth is lush and green, and many people clearly make this coastal region their home. It feels rather remote from other parts of France, especially with signposts written in both the French and Breton languages. At a coffee stop we talked a little with the bartender who told us children learn some Breton at school, but he knows only a few words. It seems efforts are being made to preserve the Breton language.

By the time we reached Le Conquet, our estimated westernmost point on the Brittany coast, the day was nearly evening, so with a few last shots of the "end of the earth" we turned on our GPS and were gently guided around the edge of Brest and back to Plounevez-Lochrist for our first microwaved hot meal of the trip. What an absolute pleasure to prepare a meal again!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Brittany Coastal Drive Brittany Coastal Drive
Brittany Coastal Drive

One of many rocky outcrops
Brittany Coastal Drive Brittany Coastal Drive
Brittany Coastal Drive

Love to be beside the seaside. Porspode
Brittany Coast Drive Brittany Coast Drive
Brittany Coast Drive

Some local wildlife


31st May 2015

You have purchased a microwave ! ?
31st May 2015

Microwave? Us?
No need to purchase such mod cons. Our current accommodation comes fully equipped. Thought you were going to ask if we had bought a fridge. Our only purchase is a cheap electric jug. Wonderful.

Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 23; dbt: 0.045s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb