Getting caught up again


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Auvergne
September 20th 2018
Published: September 20th 2018
Edit Blog Post

We had such a great time in Moissac but it was time to hit the trail again.

The day after Moissac we had the option of 19K fairly flat (except for the end) or 21K not so flat. To convince Ruth and Pat to hike with us (how's that for an excuse) we took the flat route. What a great choice that turned out to be. The first part (the flat part) was on the Garonne Canal. The canal was started in the 19th century as part of a bigger effort to connect the Mediterranean to the Atlantic. The canal features 53 locks that are still functioning. The canal was abandoned for commercial use because of easier and cheaper ways of moving goods.

Tiff sez ...

Pat's favorite walking day - almost flat and paved. Also the favorite route for many bicycles but they don't have the same manners as the folks in the US ... they expect you to have eyes in the back of your head and see them coming. It was almost a variation on the Christmas favorite "Grandma gor run over by a bicycleist". Pat and Tiff of course noticed that those men doing their version of Tour de France had very sexy legs.

While Rich was enjoying his dinner in Moissac he noticed a strange very hard chunk of not-duck which turned out to be the cap off his molar. Our fabulous travel agent Denis at Rayo called and found a dentist in Auvillar so that Rich could have his beer without a zinger. The appointment completed in the morning and Rich, Pat, and Ruth took a taxi part way and Rich walked back 4K to hike with Tiff. Extreme kudo's to Denis!

Tif sez ...

"Poor Richard" is more than an almanac. Rich came tp France iwth a torn tendon and upon arrival got intestinal problems and an eye infection. When those cleared up he lost his crown and now he has a nasty heat rash where you don't want or need to have a heat rash. Tifany thinks he should hike "Commando". In spite of all this he walked a lot of the 32K with Tiff. She is more than thrilled to get encouragement from something other than her fitbit

Side note ... we had a superb dinner at the Hotel de Bastarde (long a on both and accent on the last syllable). I mention this only because the next stop is Condom pronounced exactly as it's spelled.

Lectoure to Condom is billed as a 32K or 27K trek with some ups and downs. Pat and Ruth thought they might get lucky in Condom and took a taxi leaving Rich and Tiff to make the journey. Things went fine until 14K into the hike where we were supposed to take the variant to miss 5K. We had some discussions and made the wron decision and ended up doing 33K. Temperatures have been in the 90s (35+C) and the end of the hike today was a ... bitch ... Great dinner at the hotel in Condom ... we've had so much duck I am starting to believe it's one of the food groups. Another 33K jaunt tomorrow but it's getting fairly flat and we're losing some heat .... only supposed to be 17 tomorrow afternoon. Pat and Ruth will wimp out again but are planning on doing the last half. Condom is derived from Condatomagus (Gallic) meaning market at the confluence.

Tiff sez ...

After 20 days of walking (not missing even 1 hiking day just like Spain) I've definately adapted to the simple life - eat, walk, eat, sleep, repeat and ocasionally contribute to this silly blog. It will be an adjustment to get back on the Sun River merry-go-round. However each person is enjoying the trip in his or her own way. Pat and Ruth skipped hiking today and rode all the way to Condom (I think they just got excited about the name and possibilities)

We're off to Eauze tomorrow. Wish me luck ... this was my first 23 mile day.

Advertisement



21st September 2018

Condom??
you gotta be kidding!!!!

Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0735s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb