Out with the big city, in with the small village


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Auvergne
October 1st 2014
Published: November 10th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 45.2799, 3.81679

We got up in the morning and took the bus to the funicular. We took the other funicular this time to the Roman theatres and the museum. The museum had a lot of statues and a ton of huge stones with Roman writing on them. Also, there were many mosaics from the floors of houses used by the Romans. These floors were made in the 3rd and 4th century A.D. One of them you could actually walk on, unbelievable! After the museum, we walked around the theatres. They were built in the first century A.D. So we are walking around stones that were put up around 2,000 years ago. I love it!
After looking around there, we headed into old Lyon for some lunch. Then we walked over to the River Saone for a 1 hour boat ride up the river and back. Lots of old buildings and ruins to be seen from the boat.
The next morning, we left Lyon and drove over to Beaune. It is in the heart of the Burgundy region. There have been very few vineyards around up till now. We have way more vineyards in California.
We did our last load of laundry today and then headed over to our hotel. After checking in and un-packing, left left for old town Beaune. We visited the Hotel Dieu, which was a hospital built in 1443 by a rich philanthropist to take care of the poor. It was staffed by nuns and later had rooms added to take care of wealthy people to help pay the bills. This hospital ran for 550 years! It closed for good in 1971, when the last patient left. We then went over to the Collegiate Notre-Dame, the local Cathedral. It was built in the 12th and 13th centuries. It is a nice church, but nothing as amazing as we have been seeing. We walked around old Beaune and stopped for a couple of beers. On the way back to our hotel, we stopped at an Italian restaurant for some dinner. Tomorrow, we are driving on a couple of wine tours around Beaune. Hopefully we can get some nice pictures of the vineyards in the countryside.


Additional photos below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



2nd October 2014

It has been quite an adventure. I have forwarded all your blogs to Eddie and to Wayne. I guess the most interesting to me has been all the beautiful churches. Each one is more spectacular than the last one. Your narrations are very good
and funny.
2nd October 2014

That is amazing to know that it has withstood for 2000 yrs. and who have walked across this floor.

Tot: 0.252s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0632s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb