The good life


Advertisement
Europe » France » Aquitaine
September 7th 2009
Published: September 30th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 44.8913, 1.21502Cool and dark ... big comfy bed ... cozy comforter ... I didn't want to wake up and leave my castle this morning, but I had to get up at 8:45. Breakfast, and then off to rent a kayak for a float down the Dordogne river! Pierre-Henri actually was about to knock on my door as I walked out, at 8:46 - he was worried I wouldn't have time to eat my breakfast before leaving... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 0, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

jj
j

Especially in the shade of this bridge.
kk
k

Beynac - the final stop!
zhzh
zh

I was sad to drop off my kayak - today was AWESOME.
ll
l

I walked up to the Chateau, but didn't go in. I'll see some chateaus coming up, so I didn't care. The views were great.
mm
m

This looked a little Gaudi-esque, in a wannabe home handyman kind of way.
zizi
zi

Turns out it's a skylight for a house below - don't tap on it please!
oo
o

Picturesque little town.
qq
q

This statue must have been inspired by a Spanish senorita, with its nervous and reserved Spannerisms. Except for the toplessness, the Spanish senoritas are too demure to walk around like that.
ss
s

The only thing more beautiful than the town of Castelnaud ...
zkzk
zk

... is eating a pain au chocolat in Castelnaud. Too bad it wasn't that great. But it was still good.
zlzl
zl

Back in Sarlat - kebab! Pretty expensive here, especially when you can get a 10 euro set meal including foie gras. Of course at that price, the quality of the food may be questionable. And notice the kebab you can get with roquefort - very French!
znzn
zn

Duck breast stuffed with foie gras - does it get any better than this?
zmzm
zm

Blood orange ... mmmm ... reminded me of a lobster special I had at Saint Germain in Calgary, where in addition to the traditional garlic butter, there was reduced blood orange juice mixed with melted butter that was simply incredible ... mmmm ....
zqzq
zq

Mmm ... some Vietnamese food would really hit the spot right now, but it would be sacrilegious to do that in France, where the local cuisine is so divine.
zpzp
zp

You still see the odd pay phone around, but none of them accept coins.
zrzr
zr

Sarlat's claim to fame - the foie gras that these geese produce, along with their duck cousins. These geese were so cute, but can be beautiful ...
zszs
zs

... when served on my dinner plate. The pan fried foie gras starter was good, and very rich, though it would have benefited from a few more seconds in the pan to develop a bit more caramelization, and warm it ever so slightly more. For some reason, eating some bread immediately after having a bit of foie gras made the bread taste incredible. I wasn't a big fan of the pan fried diced apples, as there was a spice in it that didn't seem to agree with the foie gras.
tt
t

The back corner of the terrace still had a nice view.
ztzt
zt

Omelette with cepes, bit meaty mushrooms. The mushrooms were a bit firm, perhaps a tad underdone, but I couldn't say for sure, since I'd never had them before. The omelette was perfectly cooked, which they say is an indication of a good chef. A nice light and spongy texture.



Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0256s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb