The good life


Advertisement
Europe » France » Aquitaine
September 7th 2009
Published: September 30th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 44.8913, 1.21502Cool and dark ... big comfy bed ... cozy comforter ... I didn't want to wake up and leave my castle this morning, but I had to get up at 8:45. Breakfast, and then off to rent a kayak for a float down the Dordogne river! Pierre-Henri actually was about to knock on my door as I walked out, at 8:46 - he was worried I wouldn't have time to eat my breakfast before leaving... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 0, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

zuzu
zu

Duck confit - it was more tender than last night's, but was strangely stringier, but had a much crisper skin. Served with a nice cream sauce, and also with more potatoes Sarladaise, but less crispier and less dry than last night's. A bit of a trade-off, I can't say if tonight's or last night's potatoes were better, but no matter what, these duck-fat-fried potatoes are sinfully good.
zvzv
zv

More cabecou! Cabecou, mon petit, mon cheri ... je t'aime!
zyzy
zy

Chocolate cake - a bit dry again, like last night's walnut cake. Maybe it's a local thing? Last night's cake was swimming in a pool of creme anglaise, but tonight's cake was drowning in a veritable tsunami of the stuff! The cake wasn't too sweet, and was very nice with the creme anglaise, once you rescued it from drowning to its death and gave it mouth-to-mouth resuscitation. Very chocolatey.
zzzz
zz

Funny - a couple of women tried to sit down at 21:40 for a meal, but were told that the restaurant was closed. I was the last guy in the restaurant when this happened but if this was Spain, I'd probably be one of the first guys sitting down to dinner. After, I tried to waddle off a few calories before going to bed. Though it's small, Sarlat is beautiful at night - I can see how somebody could fall in love with the place. Maybe one day when Pierre-Henri is ready to retire, I'll buy the place and enjoy the good life in France! But that could get expensive, as I'd have to buy all new pants to fit my sure-to-expand waist line!
zzazza
zza

A walk through town - the Lantern of the Dead, built as a monument to St. Bernard, who saved people from the plague by instituting hygiene standards.



Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 11; qc: 20; dbt: 0.0313s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb