Day 7 Confolens to Brantome 61miles


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Aquitaine
May 16th 2014
Published: May 17th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Confolens D59-D165-D29 Rochechouart. D675 to Brantome

Lovely breakfast with our landlady at Confolens.

First twenty miles of cycling difficult,for me anyway.Strong headwind with roads up hill & down dale again.Carrying panniers that weigh in excess of 1st doesn't help.

We passed through Rochechouart with its handsome Chateau which dates from the 15th century. It house a museum of contemporary art as well as the hotel de ville. Much of the rock used to build the chateau originated in outer space when a meteorite landed, during the Jurassic period, on the site of the town.

Yesterday we met a Dutch guy in our hotel who was walking from his house in the Hague to Bordeaux, then on to Biarritz where he will join the Camino trail.He was intending to do it in 100 days. He said being on his own he had been through some dark moments. I know how he feels !

Could have thrown in the towel at 20 but we turned south & it got easier with the wind on our port side.We passed fields dotted with the distinctive red of the beautiful Limousin cattle known for the quality of their beef.

The whole route today was spent in the sparsely populated Parc Naturel Regional Perigord-Limousin passing through a patchwork of green meadows,clusters of chestnut trees & wild flowers in abundance before reaching picture postcard Brantome,entirely surrounded by the Dronne River.

Day off in Brantome tomorrow from cycling & blogging ,


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



17th May 2014

Wife abut
No pain, no gain! Well done Susan. Enjoy a well deserved day off. Xxx
17th May 2014

Enjoy your day off!!
The problem with long straight roads and head winds you need to cycle behind a big overweight windbreak - shame he's now more like a racing snake! Loving the blogs we know how time consuming they can be. Horse identification possibly Ardennais - but not really sure. Enjoy your day of rest.

Tot: 0.162s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0421s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb