Sailing up the Garonne river


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Aquitaine » Cadillac
May 12th 2017
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 44.6374, -0.319413

We boarded the MS Amadolce in Bordeaux. Smaller cabins than we are used to on a cruise ship but everything fitted in. The ship has a lovely sun deck, a main lounge and dining room all beautifully decorated. We are travelling with Botanicals, an Australian company which is part of APT so lots of Aussies aboard. Alistair Sooke, the Art Historian also came aboard and remembered we had met a couple of years ago. After the welcome drink and safety briefing we had dinner with Alistair in the Chef's Table, a small separate dining room where we had a 7 course tasting menu with appropriate wines and excellent arty conversation. A good start.The following morning the ship docked at Cadillac and we split into groups for a 90 minute guided walk. It is a pretty town built as a walled city in the 13th century and still has two stone gates, an old church and a Chateau. Back at the ship, Alistair gave a talk on the Impressionists and the painting of gardens before lunch, which was a sumptuous seafood buffet. In the afternoon we opted for the tour to the Chateau de la Brede, which was the home of philosopher, Montesquieu. A well preserved Chateau but very dark walls and furnishings. After a guided tour round the castle we were taken to the vineyard of Chateau de Myrat where we had a tour and tasting of their sweet Sauternes. Quite a few people bought the wine but we decided it wasn't quite to our liking. We have had 24 hours on board and I am exhausted already!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



14th May 2017

If you want to send me a barrel I would not say no.
19th May 2017

How many bottles of wine can one get out from one of those barrels? 50? 100? not a clue ... how long does the wine stay in those barrels? so would this be the chateau de myrat wine ? called... ??? xxx

Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0381s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb