Scandanavian Tour


Advertisement
Finland's flag
Europe » Finland
August 5th 2017
Published: August 5th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Hello all! We're in Finland. Interesting in that there was no border crosssing control. There was a customs office on the Norwegian side and we stopped in and asked if they wanted to see our passports but no, not interested! We then stopped in Inarvi at a market to get supplies and caused a minor international event. We purchased our groceries and went to the checkou. It was very busy and we had a line behind us when the cashier got halfway through checking she stopped and said we had to weigh all our produce and place the price sticker on it. Naturally not realizing that there was a code on the shelf for each item and that number had to be entered into the electronic balance which then printed out a price tag, we totally stopped the check out line! We spastically fumbled around until some kind lady came over and explained the whole thing. We finally brought our items back and there waiting patiently was a long line of Fins and i presume Norwegians. We mumbled our sorry's and explained it was our first day in Finland! Boy it was good to get out of there!!!

Finland is quite the contrast to Norway; rolling hills, pine and birch forest, lakes and streams, and lots of reindeer. A bit warmer here although we're still above the arctic circle and we've been lucky with no rain! We've seen a few other cyclists heading north for Nordkapp. Also a number of fisherman heading into Norway for Salmon fishing. Basic cabins have been available and reasonably priced so we've been taking advantage of the more restful sleep and easier packing and unpacking. So southward we continue!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.148s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.1064s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb