Scandanavian Tour


Advertisement
Norway's flag
Europe » Norway
August 1st 2017
Published: August 1st 2017
Edit Blog Post

We've covered a lot of ground since my last post. The wifi is so sketchy it's a challenge to post regularly! Some big rides. Our longest day, (99Km), was also our longest climb; started with a 7% 3 Km climb followed shortly by 10Km of 3% to 5% with stiff head winds. We reached a beautiful alpine zone that seemed to stretch for miles. At least we found a quiet campsite and took a nice cabin. The next day we rode into Hammerfest and to by pass the long under sea tunnel we took the Hurtigruten excursion ship to Honnigsvag. Fun to see the country from a different perspective, but required getting up at 4am to catch the ship. Honnigsvag is at the base of the ride to Nordkapp. We had planned to rest and go up the next day but the weather report was for rain all day and 14m/s winds! Sooo we took a cabin, dropped our gear, grabbed a quick lunch and started up. A 25Km ride. Started with a 9% pull for about 1Km and the then continuous rolling climbs. The weather deteriorated almost immediately. Cloud descended, heavy mist and wind followed so that visibility was a few feet. Of course just to add to the adventure Anna flatted! Alpine area so no place to hide, just buckle down and get it done. Cold, wet, and tired we reached the top and couldn't see a thing, certainly not the large sphere marking the site. We kept moving along the road and finally the pavilion appeared. We took a couple of pictures and went in to warm up for a couple of minutes before heading back down. Out of the mist appeared a French family that we've been meeting along the way. They rode up towing their 3 year old daughter! I had to quit wining!!! The ride down was scary. The wind picked up and the cross winds caused dangerous swerves into the road from the shoulder! Later that evening we met the French couple and sat and talked over glasses of wine. We slept very well that night!

So we made it to Nordkapp!!! We've turned around now and again bypassed the under sea tunnel by hopping on the Hurtigruten. This time though we continued onto Kirkenes which required we take a cabin on board!!! Decadence!!! Kick back and watch the the country pass by! We left Kirkenes this morning and tomorrow we pass into Finland!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.246s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0409s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb