Pork Neck


Advertisement
Finland's flag
Europe » Finland » Uusimaa » Helsinki
July 18th 2012
Published: July 18th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Took yesterdaymorning the 7.30 ferry to Helsinki. Arrived at 9.30 and took a taxi to the Glo hotel Art near the centre. Fortunately they had already a room available. Starting price of a taxi in Helsinki is euro 5,90 . Asked the driver if that was the fixed price to the hotel. It was not. Not to far to drive so it ended at euro 10.--

Never been in Helsinki before except to change plane. Strange to see that all streets has the name in finnish and swedish. Probably still to thank that they belonged 500 years to Sweden. Also at schools Swedish is the second language .

Temperature is around 20 degrees and for them it s really summer. If it comes to 25/28 degrees they talk about a heat wave.Made a tour around Helsinki by boat and ahop on hop off city tour.Sa also 6 icebreakers in their summerstation.In winter needed to keep the harbors open and to help the ships to enter and to leave the country. They can break ice till a thickness of 1,5 metre.

Weather stayed good but an hour with rain in the afternoon.The young finnish speak very good english and are willing to help you.

In restaurants they have usually a pot on the table with knives forks, napkins, spoons so you can take the tools you need.Helsinki is rather expensive. Unbelievable you see on the terrasses lots of people drinking wine or beer. A glass costs euro 9,50. Food is like in Estonia a bit fat.Monday I ate in Tallinn original estonian pork and yesterday a combination of saugages, pork neck and a bit beef. When I only saw it on the table my cholesterol level started to jump. Compensated a bit with salmon and green tea. Wednesday I ll take the afternoon ferry to Stockholm.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.264s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0775s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb