The last 24 hours.


Advertisement
Finland's flag
Europe » Finland » Lapland » Luosto
March 16th 2013
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 67.1571, 26.9157

The night before we had been taken by snowmobile pulled sleigh at minus 24 degrees to a snow restaurant. This was a huge igloo with tables and chairs made of ice- don't ask if it was cold! There was a fire in the middle but you couldnt feel the heat especially if you were sat by the wall of the igloo. The meal consisted of mushroom soup, salmon, veg and potatoes and a blueberry cake and coffee. The drink on the table was berry juice which got colder and colder. Fortunately I had taken our flask with cherry brandy in it which made the berry juice palatable. We all ate the food rapidly before it too became cold and then as one we all stood up ready to be taken back to a warm hotel. Not an experience we would repeat and indeed would not have chosen if we had known beforehand. After warming up we walked up and down the town and to the lake in the hope of seeing the lights as it was a wonderful clear night with lots of stars. However we were disappointed and nothing materialised.
The following day we were free to do as we pleased so we caught the ski bus to the next town and took the chair lift up to the top. The snow conditions were fabulous and the sun had shone all week so we were even missing the ski slopes, which were empty of crowds. All we could do was sit in the mountain restaurant with a gluhwein and later take the chair lift down again. Back down in Pyha we visited the cultural centre which was very well laid out and gave good displays of the natural habitats of all the local wild life. Then it was into the Sport Bar for more Gluhwein before the bus ride back.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0283s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb