My Favourite Things About the UK


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England
March 14th 2018
Published: July 4th 2018
Edit Blog Post

We’re sure that everyone has dreamed about going to the United Kingdom at some point in their life. We're very lucky to be from here, and recently we spent some time on a road trip exploring our beautiful country. Sometimes a staycation can be just as good as going abroad! When tourists think of the UK they picture the royal family, Harry Potter, black cabs and red phone booths, but really there is so much more than that.

Below are our favourite things from our staycation in the UK:

1. Shakespeare's Globe Theatre

This is a place that all theatre lovers will surely love! It is a replica of the original 16th century Globe Theatre . We were able to catch a production of Hamlet during our trip to London, but you will be able to catch great performances regardless of the season. If you don’t have time to spare, it is still worth a visit for the year-long Shakespeare’s Globe exhibition. Both the café and the restaurant served great food as well!



2. Hay-on-Wye

Let’s head on to Wales, shall we? It was absolute paradise for bookworms like us! However, it is not limited to just literature, however as there is a plethora of antiques and handicrafts to be found here. We loved the concept of the honesty bookshop, which is basically an outdoor store without an attendant! The Hay is a great place to browse and shop—not to mention that it is a stone’s throw away from some excellent sightseeing.



3. River Thames

London would not be the place it is without the Thames running through it. We had a lovely time at the South Bank, which is basically the beating heart of the city. There are plenty of pubs, cultural centers, and restaurants lining the riverside, but the scenery was rewarding in itself. We highly recommend taking a ride up the iconic London Eye for a fantastic view of landmarks such as St. Paul’s Cathedral and Big Ben. We went on a tour of London which was great fun, and gave out feet a break from all the walking!



4. Dunnottar Castle

This hidden gem of Scotland should not be missed if you wish to travel off the beaten path. This castle is located a mere 15 miles away from Aberdeen South. The ruins lie on a dramatic cliff, exposing the structure to the sea on all sides but one. Apparently, this was used as the shooting location for the 1990 adaptation of Hamlet! The fact that we were able to enjoy it by ourselves certainly made it all the more special.



The United Kingdom is full of beautiful destinations. If you are visiting on a budget then don't worry, not everywhere is an expensive as London, and you can actually find some very reasonably priced accommodation throughout the country so do not make the mistake of limiting yourself to London. Each part of the region has wonderful places to offer those who seek them out. Every area possesses its own special charm and it would be a disservice to both the UK and yourself to lock yourself in the capital!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.168s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 18; dbt: 0.1457s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb