Estonia the land of perpertual sunlight!!


Advertisement
Estonia's flag
Europe » Estonia
July 21st 2008
Published: July 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

After bobsledding our way through the other Baltic states of Lithuania and Latvia we headed to the northern most state of Estonia. We arrived in the capital and you guessed it.... It was raining not just rain though it was pouring and we were starting to wonder if we should head back to Riga when the rain cleared and we were able to get out and about.
Like most of the other cities in this part of the world Tallinn had an old town and this was our first stop. The old town of Tallinn is smaller than those of Riga and Vilnius and is walled in, inparts making you feel like some medieval movie character as you walk around. The old town is full of churches and other old building but was a bit lost on us as we started suffering from a distinct feeling of deja vu. Tallinn also had some nice areas along the waterfront were everyone in Tallinn seems to find themselves running, walking and cycling at the end of the day. It is also the area where the massive ferries leave from for Scandanavia.
This is the furthest north we have ventured and as it is the middle of summer the sun doesnt actually set properly. To give you an idea in the Southern Hemisphere at this Longitude you would be at the Southern most point of South America!!! At around 12-30 at night the sun disappears however the sky only darkens slightly before the sun rises again at about 3-30AM!!!!. This can make sleeping very difficult and resets your whole body clock.
We hung around in Tallinn for a few day before heading off to the Estonian city of Tartu. Tartu was a really nice place and we had managed to find ourselves there in the middle of a festival with a completely unpronouncable name. This meant however that all over town there was scores of people in medival dress and alot of people who were dressed as elves. Not sure why but it was very amusing.



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Church SpireChurch Spire
Church Spire

Someone get a good idea to put a walkway on the roof of a church. Almost 100m of the ground.


Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0362s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb