Captain Danger goes Bobsledding - PRICELESS


Advertisement
Latvia's flag
Europe » Latvia » Vidzeme Region » Sigulda
July 18th 2008
Published: July 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Sigulda is described as the Switzerland of Latvia. In a country of no hills that is nearly all flat we were interested in what this meant. So we hoped on a train to see what it was like. We soon discovered that comparing Sigulda to Switzerland is a bit ambitous.
One attraction that they have in Sigulda however is a bobsled track. And beleive it or not tourists can go in a bobsled and go down the track. Being summer and with no ice about they have a specially constructed audi bobsled for you to go in. The bobsled goes down the track reaching speeds of over 90km / hour. And consiering that captain dangerous has been on holidays for a while he thought that this was he perfect time to come back to work. We got to the track and were suprised to see that the Russian luge team was using the track for there summer training. The track used to be the main training ground for the Soviet olympic teams and is still used year round with the Russians there this week and the Ukrainians coming next week according to the guy behind the desk.
We were standing around waiting for our turn when someone asked if they had to sign a form or even pay before they went down the track to which the guy replied "no dont worry about signing anything and you can pay if you survive". After about 10 minutes of waiting we got our turn. The ride started very sedately but we were quickly woken up when by the 5th corner we were already going around 70km/hr. The ride was the fastest craziest roller coaster that either of us had ever been on, the corners just come out of nowhere. Our original plan of filming the ride down was quickly thrown out the window as the G-forces in the corners made it nearly impossible to look let alone attempt to film anything. The ride was over in around 1 minute and before we knew it we were been towed back up to the top.

The rest of our time in Sigulda was meant to be spent exploring the forests and hikes around the town. However as it rained for the next 2 days we spent much of this time inside (or stuck under a tree sheltering during one of our aborted attempts at bush walking). There is plenty to do in Sigulda and it was upsetting that the weather runied our plans but at least we managed to have our bobsled ride.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.148s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 14; qc: 67; dbt: 0.0912s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb