Adam and Eve


Advertisement
Estonia's flag
Europe » Estonia » Tallinn
June 10th 2017
Published: June 10th 2017
Edit Blog Post

It has been a busy few days! But I must back up to the time spent in Oslo first. The early morning of our flight to Helsinki, Colin and I were walking to the train station and there was absolutely no one around. I mean no cars, not a single homeless person or beggar, local drunk - no one. We were laughing saying that we were the new Adam and Eve. The end of the world had happened in the night and forgot to tell us. It was pretty funny, just had to share that.

Helsinki is a beautiful city with cheaper beer. Once we found the apartment we were staying in, we settled in and began our touring. Rick Steves book has come in very handy as we do his walking tours. That combined with a tram tour seemed to be a great way to see the city. The weather was not cooperative on our last day when we went to see the Suomenlinna Fortress. We took the ferry over to the island and it didn't stop raining until we were back on main land.

The trip to Helsinki was the first leg enroute to St. Petersburg, Russia. We had to take an overnight ferry from Helsinki. We were in a room that had no windows! Needless to say, Colin had to deal with an almost hysterical Roxanne as I do not like the feeling of being in a crypt. We knew it had no windows before we left and I was pretty worked up about it. He was patient and probably had a good chuckle afterward as I dried my tears and asked where the nearest bar was! That fear, I am happy to say, has been nearly conquered. Ya me!

Our hotel room in St. Petersburg was just as I would picture the wealthy Russian people to have lived in 200 years ago. It was beautiful with big heavy curtains and tile everywhere. Bathroom was black and gold colored tile.

We didn't stand still for too long as there is so much to see. The highlight was the Cathedral of the Spilled Blood. Morbid name, beautiful place. Along with that we did a 4 hour walking tour in the pouring rain. Everyone else cancelled but us. I don't know what to think of that. You be the judge. Stupid or smart? We had the tour guide all to ourselves and did what we wanted to do! We also took a fantastic boat tour through the canal and saw the city from the water. Oh ya, guess what, we bought tickets from a scalper in Russia! We went to see Romeo and Juliet at the ballet! We were waiting for the KGB to come and arrest us. Hasn't happened yet. That was the cultural part of our holiday.

Another overnight ferry ride took us back to Helsinki. Upon arrival we had the pleasure of unwittingly becoming part of the Chinese culture of getting oneself to the front of the line even thought there is in place to go. Picture this - we had to wait for almost an hour to disembark from the ferry at Helsinki. Colin who is 6 feet tall and towered over 200 Chinese people all trying to talk at the same time, in one very loud volume to each other was quickly loosing his patience. All of a sudden the door, yes 1 door for 1500 people (half of them Chinese) opened. They do not proceed to leave in an orderly fashion but rather push and shove like a dollar days at Superstore (I apologize if I have offended anyone). Colin was so mad I thought he might take on all of the Chinese passengers. Now who is looking for a bar? Yup, my man!

We are now in Tallin, Estonia with the sunshine! We have already taken a bike tour of the 'other side of Tallin' and visited the Old Town. One of the most amazing places we have seen.

I know this is a long one but thanks for reading. Stay tuned as we finish our time in Estonia and leave for Lithuania and Latvia.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0525s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb