Tallinn, Estonia


Advertisement
Estonia's flag
Europe » Estonia » Tallinn
June 3rd 2007
Published: June 3rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Today our tour started in the medieval town of Tallinn. We walk up tooompea hill to the palace square where we viewed Toompa castle, now the Estonian Parliament. We were able to peek into a lovely Russian Orthodox Alexander Nevsky cathedral. Since this was sunday, no pictures were allowed but the clergy were all dressed in their religious robes, very ornate. We continued over the cobble stone streets for an overview of the lower city. The city is on a hill with city walls protecting the lower city and larger walls protecting the upper city. There is a Catholic St Mary's Cathedral but we could not enter on Sunday.
As we drove through the new city we were should where the Russian monument was removed by the Estonians and where the riots occurred just recently. We viewed the many apartment complexes created by the Russians. They remind me of the projects back home. Stalin moved many ethnic russians here many years ago. The Estonians are now free and there is conflict with the russians. We then drove to one of the oldest towns of Estonia, Rakvere. We visited a vodka distillery museum and I was allowed to sample various brands of vodka and received a certificate of 'Connoisseur of vodka'. We then visited Rakvere castle and had lunch of pork, saurkraut, meat pie and beer.
Tonight show was absolutely the best. The costomes and scenery were outstanding and the singers and dancers were at their best. The next tow days will be for rest as we sail back to England.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.214s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0452s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb