Arhus


Advertisement
Denmark's flag
Europe » Denmark
June 18th 2010
Published: June 21st 2010
Edit Blog Post

18 June 2010

We spent most of our last day of the trip in Arhus.

Our first visit was to Den Gamle By, an excellent open air museum of about 75 mainly half timbered buildings from the 16th to 19th centuries which since 1915 have been brought here from various parts of Jutland and reconstructed. They have been fitted out to show the furnishings and many of the crafts of the period to which they relate.

Then we walked along the river into the attractive city centre and looked at the gothic cathedral, the longest in Norway. At a restaurant recommended by the guide we had superb smorrebrod (Danish open sandwiches), a delicious finish to our Scandinavian eating experiences.

From mid afternoon we drove across Jutland to Esbjerg where we caught the ferry for our 19 hour overnight cruise to Harwich. As we were eating our supper the Captain announced we would be making our way through a force 8 gale and 3m high waves. So we quickly retired to our cabin and watched another disappointing England world cup display, this time with a Danish commentary.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.032s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0151s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb