Visiting the Carlsberg Glyptotek in Copenhagen For Free


Advertisement
Denmark's flag
Europe » Denmark
September 15th 2023
Published: September 15th 2023
Edit Blog Post



Ever dreamt of wandering through ancient Rome, admiring French Impressionists, and chilling with Egyptian mummies, all while keeping your wallet snugly in your pocket? Well, pinch yourself because this isn't a dream. It’s easily one of the best museums in Copenhagen, and if you time your visit right you can get in for free!

A Little Sip of History:

Before we dive into the art, let's talk about beer. Why? Because the Carlsberg Glyptotek owes its existence to Carl Jacobsen, the son of the founder of Carlsberg Breweries. Carl wasn't just passionate about brewing; he had a soft spot for art. Over the years, his personal collection grew so vast that he decided to share it with the world. And voilà, the Carlsberg Glyptotek was born!

What Awaits Inside:

The Carlsberg Glyptotek isn't just a museum; it's a journey through time and space.

Ancient Civilizations: Step into the world of the Greeks, Romans, and Etruscans. Marvel at sculptures, frescoes, and artifacts that transport you to ancient marketplaces, temples, and homes.

French and Danish Art: From the dreamy strokes of Monet to the vibrant colors of Gauguin, the Glyptotek boasts an impressive collection of French and Danish art. It's like wandering through a living art history book.

Exotic Egyptian Collection: Ever wanted to come face-to-face with a mummy? Here's your chance! The Egyptian section is a blend of mystery, history, and a touch of the macabre.

The Winter Garden - A Tropical Oasis:

Nestled in the heart of the museum is the Winter Garden, a lush, tropical oasis. With its tall palm trees, glistening water fountains, and serene ambiance, it's the perfect spot to take a breather, sip on some coffee, and let the beauty of the museum sink in.

How To Get In For free:

Now, let's talk about the best part: Free Entry on the last Wednesday of the month! The Carlsberg Glyptotek, in its generous spirit, allows visitors to explore its vast collection without spending a dime each month, on the last Wednesday of the month. Making it the perfect end of the month activity.

Tips for Your Visit:

Arrive Early: Free days can get a tad crowded. To get a head start, arrive early and beat the rush.

Don't Skip the Rooftop: For a panoramic view of Copenhagen, head to the museum's rooftop. It's a sight to behold! Join a Guided Tour: To get the most out of your visit, consider joining one of the free guided tours. It's a deep dive into the museum's highlights, filled with stories, anecdotes, and insights.



Hungry After All That Art Gazing? The museum's café, located next to the Winter Garden, is a treat for the senses. Indulge in some Danish pastries, sip on a cup of coffee, and let the ambiance transport you to a Parisian café.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0285s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb