Christmas in Ribe


Advertisement
Denmark's flag
Europe » Denmark » Region Syddanmark » Esbjerg
December 23rd 2008
Published: December 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Ribe CathedralRibe CathedralRibe Cathedral

Ribe Cathedral is the oldest cathedral in Denmark - and for me one of the prettiest.
Founded in the beginning of the 8th century, Ribe is the oldest existing town in Denmark. At that time the vikings used Ribe as a trading centre before leaving for "sea expeditions". The first Scandinavian church was built here around 860. The town continued to grow and became very important not just for Denmark but much of Scandinavia. Although there was a great fire in 1580, many of Ribe's original medieval houses are still standing. The great cathedral situated in the heart of Ribe can been seen from far away as the landscape surrounding Ribe is very flat, much of it marshland. The cathedral was built in the 13th century. Many famous people was born or lived in Ribe during the centuries.

A few days before Christmas my brother Aage and our friends Charlotte and Henriette (sisters) went on a very cosy day trip to Ribe for Christmas shopping. Here are a few photos taken from our visit in one of Denmark's most historic towns.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Ribe Cathedral - the altarRibe Cathedral - the altar
Ribe Cathedral - the altar

The decorations were in the 1980s by Carl Henning Pedersen.
Christmas cookiesChristmas cookies
Christmas cookies

"Brune kager" on top of Ribe Cathedral's tower.
SkibbroenSkibbroen
Skibbroen

Today the harbor is mainly for leisure purposes.
FiskergadeFiskergade
Fiskergade

A small alley with some beautiful medieval houses.
Shopping in RibeShopping in Ribe
Shopping in Ribe

Ribe has many good and interesting shops with all sorts of things.


Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0548s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb