A day in Dorchester


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Dorset » Dorchester
January 20th 2009
Published: September 19th 2009
Edit Blog Post

This month's trip was for Dorchester, the county town of Dorset in south-west England. In a English context, Dorchester is not a big town with its ca 16.000 inhabitants. However, Dorchester has a fantastic mix of old monuments going back several thousands of years such as Maiden Castle, Maumbury Rings and and Roman Town House so the past is very present. Author of the "slightly" bleak novel, Tess of the d'Urbervilles, Thomas Hardy was born in 1840 in a village nearby Dorchester.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

High StreetHigh Street
High Street

The High Street has some beautiful old buildings and many churches.
Maumbury RingsMaumbury Rings
Maumbury Rings

With its history going back about 4,500 years, Maumbury Rings has taken its important role in shaping Dorchester for centuries. It was reused by the Romans as an amphitheatre and later as a defence fort.
Roman Town HouseRoman Town House
Roman Town House

Dorchester has one of the most well-preserved Roman town houses in the country, today covered by a protecting shed.
Mosaic floorMosaic floor
Mosaic floor

Several of the rooms in the house still have the original mosaic floor, some with the structures of floor heating.
Centre of DorchesterCentre of Dorchester
Centre of Dorchester

Dorchester has many nice cafes and shops and is well worth a visit.


Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 15; qc: 57; dbt: 0.058s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb