Denmark 15 - The ferry from Rodby /the night on the fairground /time to head home


Advertisement
Denmark's flag
Europe » Denmark » Region Sjælland » Rodby
September 19th 2022
Published: September 19th 2022
Edit Blog Post

How quickly things can change ? One minute we have a holiday planned that will take us across to Poland and then next minute because of Glenns knee we are thinking of heading home. It will take us five days of solid driving to get from where we are now to the Channel Tunnel and then another gruelling six hour drive around London and home . A sobering thought .

We could drive back across the Great Belt Bridge and head down to Germany. This was just be the reverse of the trip up. Or we could continue downwards to Rodby . We have a plan .

Before that though we stayed the night at a pleasant campsite and fell into conversation with a couple who were spending another five weeks in this part of the world . They too had seen no Brits apart from us . Even in Copenhagen where they had come from they saw no-one of our nationality . They told me that they had used the ferry from Copenhagen rather than the more expensive Oresund bridge . They had sold a company or a factory - I cannot remember exactly - in North Wales . North East Wales - they said . Wrexham - Ruabon . It turned out just five miles from where we lived .

We did not see them again. Our last night was spent in the cafe on the campsite . It had been advertised as a good new restuarant . But was hardly that . A cafe with a limited menu and staff who refused to take anything but credit cards . Many were complaining about the refusal to take euros . The food was not haute cuisine . Rather more McDonalds meets Wetherspoons .

One thing we have missed is a good menu del dia or lunchtime cheap meal . This concept does not seem to exist in Denmark . Another part of the holiday I missed was supermarket shopping . I always love a good LeClerc, Supermercado or Super U .. Here there were the Lidls and the Aldis but larger more well stocked supermarkets were few and far between . Super Brygsens seemed to be the main supermarkets . I found them hard to negotiate. The entrances seemed to be hidden around corners . Parking was not really good for a girl like Gabby . The trolleys were hidden and inside was a maze that was a cross between a Co-op store and a large Tesco, Morrisons or Asda. I could find nothing as I wandered round . Perhaps the food was not to my taste . Perhaps it was because I could not understand a word on the labels . It may even have been because everything seemed to be fish . Fresh fish which I cannot cook in Gabby as we have no oven nor grill . Frozen fish . Hard to keep frozen as the fridge has decided to start playing up . It worked yesterday , failed today and started again tonight . Fish balls , fish slices . Everything seemed to be fish and if I could not read the label I was not risking buying the product . The driver commented I had been a long time in the store and I had bought little . That was true as I must have walked round three or four times . Even getting lost whilst looking for the exit . An experience but not one that I enjoyed much .

Before we drove on we checked on the prices of the ferry from Rodby to Puttgarden in Germany . Said to be one of the busiest ferry routes in Europe and large ferries depart every 30 minutes 24 hours a day . The ferry companies we tried were all booked up or told us we were too near to the departure times . They wanted £69 for the journey which seemed a good price compared to driving all the way back through Denmark . We tried the Scanline site and managed to book a ferry two hours ahead for 78 euros . All we needed to do was drive down to the port .

I guess we thought it would be busy like Ancona . Difficult to find anything like Ancona . However it was a pleasure to locate. All the signs pointed the way. We knew we needed to find the yellow manual booths to change our e-ticket for a boarding pass . All went well and we were directed to lane number 9 . We could see the ferry already loaded and just had to sit and wait for our ferry one hour away.

I went for a walk whilst waiting and managed to place a Welcome to Wrexham sticker on a bollard . If you are subscribing to Disney + I make the suggestion watch Welcome to Wrexham and you will find out about our local football team and the ownership by Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElleney . It is a good watch I can promise you that .

The boat came in and we were loaded . Again easy . Up on deck ready for the 45 minute crossing . One espresso and one cappacino drunk and before long we were coming into Germany for our night stop on the local sports club with the fairground in town . So it was Farvel til Danmark- and - Hallo nach Deutschland

Advertisement



Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 34; dbt: 0.0365s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb