Windy Denmark


Advertisement
Denmark's flag
Europe » Denmark » Region Midtjylland » Aarhus
August 7th 2023
Published: August 8th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Awake early as the ship docks at 0730. Didn’t bother with breakfast. Way too early.

Woke to rain and lots of bumpy waves. Took forever to dock as the winds were blowing that hard that the Captain had to work really hard to get alongside. Watching the guys on the dock waiting to catch the mooring ropes you could see their eyes each time they got close only to be blown away again.

Finally secured and waiting for the gangway to be connected before we head off. Out into the dirty weather and into a cab. Driver didn’t have a clue where to go until I showed him the address. Google maps to the rescue.

Got to the car rental place. Had our reservation but then there was a problem. Something about vouchers. Asked if we had paid and how much. Yes, to the travel agent and no idea how much. All part of the bigger expense of the trip. Finally after a phone call and much Danish chatter all sorted.

Into the car, a Seat Arona. Turns out to be a VW built car who also build Skoda. Not bad to drive once you worked out all the bits. Took forever to get away as when I tried to connect the phone for maps, the display was in Danish. Back to our lady who tried to fix. No luck. Out comes a man who mutters lots then all of a sudden he finds the right place and we are in English.

Now to get Apple Car Play working. Again to our lady friend. No luck but I try the USB. Woo hoo, connected and maps up on the big screen. Can go now. Rain still coming down so a bit careful in a new strange car.

Finally on the way. Heading to Skagen which is known as the top of Denmark. Find the location and park the car. Walk up the hill with our rain jackets on. Mainly to keep the strong wind away from us but later to keep the rain away again.

The sea is rough as today. They have tractors with a huge carriage behind for sight seeing tours right out to the point. This is where 2 seas meet along with a massive reef. The waves at this point are humongous as are the winds when we get down to the beach. They have massive concrete bunkers along the beach which were built by the Germans for WW2. Scary looking buildings.

Back into town for a bite and walk around. Beaten by rain again so off we go, headed for Aarhus. Onto the motorway and wonder why we are getting passed by lots of cars. Ask Siri about speed limits. Now know why we are being passed. 130 on motorways. Up the speed a little and all good. Too wet for 130 at the moment.

Eventually make it to Aarhus and to our hotel. They have our booking and up we go to the room. Not huge but serviceable. Person at the desk finds us a laundromat which is a 9 minute walk away.

Off on our 9 minute walk to the laundromat. End up putting all the dirties into the smaller suitcase for ease of walking. Wind is so strong that if I let go of the case it takes off on its own. Walk ends up taking us 15 minutes. Missed the building and walked a block past the laundromat. Stopped and looked at maps again. A nice Danish couple ask if they can help. Yes please. Show them where we are meant to be. They give us directions and have a chat for a bit. Finally find it. Right in the corner which we had past on the other side of the street. Bugger.

Need coins for the washing machine so go and try to get some changed from Euros across the road in a mini supermarket. Not enough. Luckily there is a lady in the laundromat who is very happy to help.

She suggests I go to the ATM which I hadn’t seen and get some cash. Good thinking. Done and get changed to coins. She then gives us a lesson in how you work the antiquated washing and drying coin machine. Bloody hell, have to be a Rhodes scholar and a mechanical engineer in one to operate this thing.

Washing done, only 1 dryer left so start that. Check a bit later - no heat. Played with the heat button but no luck. Then a second dryer becomes available. This one works so we juggle clothes around. Finally get the lot dry, or near enough for a few to go back and hang in the room. Fresh jocks and socks again……

Found a Vietnamese restaurant nearby. Booked a table, luckily. Place was packed and crazy busy. Food was really nice, fresh and quick to come out. Only issue was it was bloody hot in there with all the people packed in close quarters.

Out onto the street again and some fresh air as we walk back to the hotel.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0237s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb