First impressions of Copenhagen


Advertisement
Denmark's flag
Europe » Denmark » Region Hovedstaden » Copenhagen
August 11th 2009
Published: August 12th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The Little MermaidThe Little MermaidThe Little Mermaid

Honouring the original story written by Hans Christian Anderson
So what springs to mind when you think of Denmark? Danish pastry, Hans Christian Anderson, Great Dane dogs, ice cream, chewing tobacco, Danish cookies in a pretty little tin, tall blond and blue eyed happy people speaking in some strange, throaty native tongue, Scandanavia and Greenland.

This was my knowledge of the Danes before stepping foot in the country where I would be living for the next year.

Reality:

I arrive at the airport in Copenhagen and everyone is waving Danish flags. In the days to come I see Danish flags everywhere. Even if a family is having a picnic in the park, there will be Danish flags stuck in the grass around the blanket. I later learned, that no, they are not necessarily more patriotic than Canadians (we've been known to wave a flag or two), but that this is how they celebrate a special occasion.

It is flat as a pancake. This term can not be taken lightly. I think the highest point in the whole country is about 150m. Which is a good segue into my next observation.

Bicycles. Everywhere. Ridden by every one. Granny's, children, business men, fashion queens, men driving their
Friday Happy HourFriday Happy HourFriday Happy Hour

2 Danes enjoying a beer in the park on Friday afternoon
drunk girl friends in a cart attached to the front of the bicycle. You name it. They have their own driving lanes and traffic light system, complete with hand signals. I have yet to master this system, and in fact, am quite intimidated by it. However, the ability to cycle around the whole country in your own designated lane, should be the envy of every country that doesn't share in this culture. Last weekend I cycled 45 km out of town, through small villages, without having to fear for my life that I was going to get smoked by some dry cleaning van (an experience in Brisbane comes to mind)... Helmets aren't mandatory, but lights are. Hmm, this is still something I'm getting used to, but I think its great!

Architecture. Old meets new. You have the royal palaces built in the 17th century, then you have state of the art office buildings, constructed as it seems, entirely out of glass. Though not really architecture, the sea boasts space-age looking wind turbines, that have come a long way from the wind mills of their Dutch neighbours. Also the 8km bridge to Malmo, Sweden is no ancient piece of engineering.
First FridayFirst FridayFirst Friday

Discovering Copenhagen's night life with some of my international friends.


People. Helpful, but not outwardly friendly or open - very reserved. Unless of course they have a few Tuborg's or Carlsberg's under their belt, in which case they become quite the opposite. Organized, efficient, proud, beautiful, fashionable, family-oriented, smokers. These are all of course just observations, and you have to be aware of course, that I am just generalizing.

My unique experience. I am currently participating in a graduate orientation program for international students that will be studying in the faculty of life sciences at the University of Copenhagen. All of us studying some aspect of natural resources. We are 40-something students and represent over 28 countries! It seems every corner of the earth is covered. Uganda, Bosnia, Nepal, Russia and Venezuela are examples. Everyone brings with them their own customs and culture. So not only are we learning the Danish way of life, but how in Ethiopia it is extremely offensive to show the sole of your foot to someone, and in China you show your respect by not making eye contact and not speaking to someone. It has been an eye-opening experience and I feel so fortunate to be finding friends with such diverse and interesting
Danish country sideDanish country sideDanish country side

This was more an exciting picture because I found a hill!
backgrounds.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Frederiksberg SlotFrederiksberg Slot
Frederiksberg Slot

A royal palace in the town of Hillerod. 90 kms of cycling this day!
Frederiksberg HaveFrederiksberg Have
Frederiksberg Have

This is a royal residence in a park less than 1km from my apartment.
NyhavnNyhavn
Nyhavn

Some Danish apartments screaming for their own identity over one of the many canals.


Tot: 0.271s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0759s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb