The First Few Days


Advertisement
Denmark's flag
Europe » Denmark » Region Hovedstaden » Copenhagen
June 14th 2009
Published: June 14th 2009
Edit Blog Post

HELLO AGAIN


I figured out that I can type a draft of what I have to say on my phone while riding the train so I should be able to put these updates together much faster and much cheaper in the future. So I've spent three nights here in Europe and it already feels like ages. Since i haven't made a real entry here yet I will start from the beginning which I warn you may be long. Advice on length would be appreciated because I don't want to ignore the needs of a largely ADD audience.

Flight


After a very enjoyable last night in Austin (thanks Austin crew) including Peter Pan Putt-Putt and dollar Lonestars at the Barton Springs Saloon, I awoke very groggy and mildly hungover. My flight to Atlanta was uneventful seeing as I slept on my traytable the entire time. The flight from ATL to Zurich was however more interesting. After I took my seat, a guy (dressed in all black and who's haircut looked like the gay artist son of Christopher Walken in Wedding Crashers) stowed a guitar case and sat down next to me. We started talking about his guitar and it
Hostel BiberHostel BiberHostel Biber

The view outside my window in the Zurich hostel. Complete with a violin player (bottom left).
turned out he is a pretty successful Swiss musician. Though I haven't had a chance to hear his music yet, you should check out FAQ, frequently asked questions, and let me know if it's any good. From what I gather it is likely Germanesque electronica rock. Aparently Phil, the plane guy, had just come from Arizona were he and his model girlfriend performed what he called a fetish show. Essentually he plays music while his girlfriend dances and does dirty, naughty things. I saw pictures and she was wearing only leather in all of them. I have been invited to come watch their next gig in Amsterdam. We'll see.

Zurich


After a short train ride from the airport I arrived in Zurich and immediately got lost. Turns out I don't speak any of the three native languages German, French, or Italian making street names largely useless. It didn't help my situation that all of the streets are narrow and headed any direction but straight (insert penis joke here). Once I found my bearings the city was beautiful especially the old town where even European cars are too wide to fit. I stayed the night in a small hostel
Grindelwald ChurchGrindelwald ChurchGrindelwald Church

A simple church in the ski town with unbelievable views.
called hostel biber tucked into the center of the old town streets. I would definitely recommend it so long as you don't plan on getting any sleep until the sun rises at 5. If you like shopping or sitting in cafes for hours on end Zurich is for you. This is a place I see myself revisiting someday.

Interlaken/Grindelwald


The next morning I took a train to Interlaken at the foot of the Alps. The town is a quaint base station for those headed up the mountain. Oddly there seemed to be some sort of German youth convention at the rail station. I have never seen so many white people wearing only black and dressed like punks or thugs or punky thugs. Having never seen them in the wild I did not know they only speak in yells and drinking song chants. It was very wierd.
From here I took another train into the hills and toward Grindelwald which is a big skiing town. The views on the train ride and in the town are unbelievable. I can see why people would consider this some of the best skiing in the world. Though very scenic, there was
Hamburg ChurchHamburg ChurchHamburg Church

A largely destroyed church in Hamburg that has been converted into an anti-war memorial.
not much to do up there unless you love shopping for wood-carved gnomes, so I headed back after a few hours.

Hamburg


As I am want to do, I decided I was ready for a change of pace so last night I caught a night train to Berlin followed by a another to Hamburg. 'Why?' you might ask. Because Phil the plane guy said it was his favorite German city and it's on the way to my next stop Copenhagen. The train ride was enjoyable but uneventful as I stayed in a little couchette and slept most of the time. The next day I spent walking around Hamburg which is a much grittier city than what I saw in Switzerland. There were multiple empty buildings and storefronts with grafitti covering their doors and windows. To that same degree there was a lot of construction rebuilding what the world wars aparently destroyed. It provides for an interesting combination of very old and very modern architecture (you architecture nerds would really this place). Hamburg is a major port city so there are tons of things going on around the waterfront and along its multiple canals. Though a little rough around
CopenhagenCopenhagenCopenhagen

An amazing but not unusual stretch of restaurants and cafes with cart vendors and street preformers.
the edges I can see why Phil likes this place. Just off of Sex Shop Mile, as the locals call it, there are a group of bars with live music that reminds me of Austin. It seems odd though to see people casually take afternoon strolls past windows showing off huge dildos and sandals shaped like boobs, but maybe I'm just wierd like that. That night I went to an underground jazz club that was about as big as our 37th street living room. The band was 7 old Germans including Albert Einstein on trumpet playing new Orleans style jazz. The music was forgetable but the beer was very good. Afterwards, I walked around in St. Pauli, Sex Shop Mile where the bars and aparently prostitutes were. Within minutes I was propositioned by two different hookers which you will be happy to know I turned down. At least until they offered a two for one deal.

Copenhagen


Yesterday I hopped on a train to copenhagen and spent all day walking around the city. I love this place. I don't know why, but right when I got off the train I had a good feeling and I have enjoyed every minute here so far. In addition the hostel here is great. Up to this point the hostels have been not very social and I never heard English being spoken. Here everyone is interested in meeting each other and everyone is speaking my language. Last night I stayed in the lobby drinking with some Dutch, Scots, Aussies, a Frenchman, and a Belgian. I have enjoyed it enough that I will be spending another night here. The wierd thing is I think these guys think all Americans look alike. I have been told I look like people before but last night I was told I look like Bruce Springsteen, Mathew Broderick, and a love child between Harrison Ford and Luke Wilson. I'm pretty sure none of those people look like me or even look remotely similar to each other. Is that racist?
Anyway I'll be exploring Copenhagen again today and then headed to Sweden tomorrow. I will try to find another hostel with free internet so I can keep this thing going. Until then good night and good luck.

Advertisement



25th June 2009

keep mentioning how we saved their countries (mostly) in WWII, see if you get free drinks
i suspect i'm not the only one who wonders if 1) you're still enjoying europe, 2) you've been kidnaped and sold into slavery in some east bloc country, 3) you've realized the beer is way stronger over there, and 4)you've thought that sitting in internet cafes blogging is overrated.

Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0361s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb