Copenhagen


Advertisement
Denmark's flag
Europe » Denmark » Region Hovedstaden » Copenhagen
July 20th 2008
Published: July 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Friday morning upon arriving in Copenhagen, we headed straight for our hotel to drop off our luggage. Luckily they had a room ready early for us. After leaving our luggage in our room, we headed to a bakery at the train station for crosants. Then we took a walking tour of the city again guided by Rick Steves. We walked along the Stroget, a long pedestrain only street. We also took a rainy canal cruise, ate ice cream in fresh waffle cones, and gazed at the statue of little mermaid. We dragged our tired feet back to the hotel for a quick nap. Later we ate dinner at Wagamama, a new trendy Asian noodle place. The food was great! Then we headed into Tivoli Gardens, Copenhagens 169 year old amusement park and Walt Disney's inspiration for Disneyland. Inside we discovered that it was nothing like Disneyland. The park was full of fancy resturants, garens, carnaval rides, games, and a Friday night rock concert. We walked around, watched the lights come on, and stayed just long enough to catch a few songs of the Danish Rap concert. None of the music was understandable other than a few swearwords, go figure. A lot like rap music I've heard in the states. The park is very clean as it has a 5KR surchage on each drink which you can get back from cup refund machines. On our way out I found 4 cups and made 20Kr. We walked a total of 13 miles that day!

Saturday morning, we stored our bags at the hotel and headed to Rosenborg's Castle. This castle was build by King Cristian IV as a summer residence. It was used by many royal family members after him, and was turned into a musuem in the 1800s. The rooms were filled with tapestries, paintings, jewels, portraits, everyday objects, China, Silver, etc. We also toured the royal tresury below that contained the Crown Jewles of Denmark. The Rosenborg Castle was one of our favorite attractions. We retrieved our luggage at the hotel and caught our high speed train to Stockholm.

Skal, Allison

More pictures coming soon!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



21st July 2008

Disneyland
I'll pass on your comments about Tivoli Gardens to Heather and seeing the Little Mermaid statue. Glad your enjoying the castles and riches. My favorites to see on vacation. In case you hadn't heard, Aunt Cindy has sold her house and is narrowing down new places in Sonoma. Very exciting. Have fun and stay safe!
1st August 2008

Rosenborg Castle
What an amazing castle that should be toured by anyone in Copenhagen. The crowns are laden with jewels inside and out with the velvety red pouf of an old time crown. Very cool.

Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0589s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb