Wonderful wonderful Copenhagen!


Advertisement
Denmark's flag
Europe » Denmark » Region Hovedstaden » Copenhagen
July 4th 2008
Published: July 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Copenhagen greeted us with the usual beautiful weather we've come to expect since setting off on our trip! While it was sad to leave Holsted new adventures were in store, the first of which was an hour's boat ride on some of Copenhagen's canals - a great way to see the city! I can see why you loved Copenhagen so much Katherine!! The canal tour was not only enjoyable it also gave us some idea of what we wanted to have a look at in more depth, and whereabouts in the city centre it was to be found. Back on terra firma we started on yet another wander - these feet are made for walking!! We found Copenhagen a really pleasant and easy city to walk around, one in which it was very easy to get your bearings. Since we only had a fairly short time to explore we decided not to seek out any art galleries or museums, there will be plenty more such venues at other places we visit. That may be a decision I'll regret nevertheless wandering around, close to the water which seems to be in almost every direction, was a seductive and relaxing way to soak in the Danish atmosphere. We had to be satisfied with a wander around the box office and restaurant area of the lovely new theatre building - the one daily tour had already finished. Copenhagen must have excellent city planners who obviously understand the importance of culture and the arts - the city can boast not only the new theatre but recently built a new Opera House and Library. Beautiful architecture - naturally! As a Sydneysider I'm well aware of the talent of Danish architects - after all our very own Opera House was designed by Jorn Utzon, with a little help from Kev when it came to designing the lights of course!!!
Changing of the Guards around the Danish Royal Palace has nothing of the formality of the House of Windsor - the guards themselves actually look real too. The Danish Queen's front door opens onto the street altthough I doubt she opens the door should you ring the bell!! Another royal castle and garden was just at the end of the street our hotel was on - Rosenborg Castle - where we spend a short time.
Everyone we spoke to insisted that a visit to the Tivoli Gardens is a must, so like good little vegemites we bought our tickets and set off to see what all the fuss what about. That was fun. Since we'd paid to get in we decided we might as well have our dinner there which meant that by the time we'd finished eating all the lights were on although it was by no means completely dark. An American couple sat at the table next to us and we spent the evening chatting to them. Well it could be said it was more than a casual chat since we managed to 'do' the environment, global warming, politics, oil, war, empires and gun control!! I would describe them as right wing conservatives, and, since my bread is not buttered on that side, it made for a lively night. Naturally though we left friends!
We spent a couple of hours checking out the main shopping mall - I even bought some new shoes. And we explored the Georg Jensen shop - thanks for the suggestion Noella! It was well worth a visit.
Copenhagen; 'not a bad joint' according to Kev - hopefully we'll be back one day!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 44, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Service on the boatService on the boat
Service on the boat

- who could resist!
The little mermaidThe little mermaid
The little mermaid

- littler than I'd imagined it would be!
Beautiful bond storeBeautiful bond store
Beautiful bond store

which is over 400 years old
The spire on the BorsonThe spire on the Borson
The spire on the Borson

or Stock Exchange is one of Copenhagen's most spectacular and oldest buildings. King Christian IV had it built in 1620, in an effort to turn Copenhagen into a financial centre to compete with Amsterdam.
Back on dry landBack on dry land
Back on dry land

and a free jazz concert is about to start
Frederiks KirkeFrederiks Kirke
Frederiks Kirke

- the Marble Church - in the background as we stop for a rest on the way to the Royal Palaces


7th July 2008

Memories
Your wonderful photos brought back many happy memories from our visit there two years ago. Don't you love those beautiful girls wizzing around on their bikes.
7th July 2008

Neta
Well us two beautiful girls should go bike riding together when we get back! M xx

Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0647s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb