Briefest of Sumups, including links


Advertisement
Denmark's flag
Europe » Denmark » Region Hovedstaden » Copenhagen
June 9th 2008
Published: June 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Let’s see how to explain this, my month of May was so busy that I actually didn’t write a thing, this is a problem since SO MUCH happened. 😊

1)Submarine Party: http://halfmachine.dk/posts/158
We launched the world’s largest privately built submarine, the UC3 Nautilus, it was an inspiring and beautiful day followed by a perfect and fun party at the MS Half Machine. People were wearing sailor outfits, we had dancers, musicians, fantastic DJs, people doing visuals, composers (Andreas & Toby) prepared a theme song for the launch, and the press went INSANE with it which was fantastic. See some of the coverage here. http://halfmachine.dk/posts/157

2)Krakow
Amanda and I went to Krakow for four days. It was an amazing trip, a beautiful and small city which was perfect. We got to know it within about a day, and spent the rest of the time shoe shopping, cafe hopping and coffee tasting. It was great! The city was very historic, we consumed more pirogues than the human body should be able to handle, and we found a couple of really neat little places. Among these, the restaurant Kuchnia uBabcia; awesome Polish food with a very dedicated traditional atmosphere. There’s two in the city. Then there was this awesome coffee place, which had the most decadent hot chocolate, and I cannot remember the name!!! I’ll write it later if I remember. We found the best area, which is Kazimierz, the Jewish quarter, it had loads of little old, old, old cafes where Amanda and I saw an improvisational Jazz concert, had great food, brilliant mojitos, some custom made drinks from a fantastic bartender, and explored the sunny hot weather via cafe hopping. It was a great relaxing trip. We also narrowly escaped being charged for illegally riding the transit system after boring them to death with talking - girls have a power, I tell you. Its not like Berlin, paying is important here especially when the cops are undercover. Oops. Fun times!

3)Few more barge events, Komponent, featuring great DJs and visuals was the 16th, followed by something called “The Abyss” on the 24th. I got to dress up as a Captain on the 16th, that was fun as Peter, the sub Captain, lent me his hat and damn, did that command instant authority! 😊

4)Suntanning on the barge, preparing for summer, more suntanning.

5)Began work on individual project - the Critical Corset, an exploration into what happens when you are attracted to someone, and how to make the wearer aware of that attraction. When your heart rate rises, the corset tightens. Sounds simple right? When you have an electronics/engineering expert and a rocket engineer helping you, it is. I love the barge. Here’s the video: http://www.facebook.com/share_redirect.php?h=4953c33cf260e58f77e03bb5977f40c7&url=http%3A%2F%2Fladiesmensroommixup.blip.tv%2F%23951807&sid=28659794544 and here’s the info: http://halfmachine.dk/posts/170

6)Electronics workshop on barge
Remember those crazy Swedes from the Italian trip? Combine them, their classmates, and Half Machine crew, and you get a fantastic week long workshop at the barge. We geeked it out seriously all week long, all working on our projects, using the resources of the barge (soldering irons, access to dancers, internet on the ship deck while drinking lattes and discussing interaction design, and the network of people) to create a fantastic week. Anders and Nils managed to meet up with some of the 8bitklubben crew to create a great installation at Radhuspladsen, showing off their newest work with Computer Vision. See it here: http://acoupleofmorons.com/ I worked all week on my corset project with Dzl, Mads worked on his computer vision project, and some of the guys filmed a crazy video of Parkour and Free Running - where they jumped off and scaled the ship and surrounding areas like monkeys.

7)Suntanning, geeking, (gerding - geeking/nerding), conducting WheelChair ballets, (http://blip.tv/file/946001) raft-building to sail through Copenhagen to pick up pizza, followed by dropping said pizza all over self and not being able to eat it, sigh. Creating the perfect ideal summer commercial, simply through everyday activities: Suntanning on submarine while using laptop to create awesome final presentation/writing paper, followed by romantic boat ride through the harbour to a deserted island with flowers and a gorgeous view, bike rides into the city at twilight to go to a lovely cafe for food, after the kitchen had closed, waking up to even more sunny bike rides, and another day of tanning on the barge.

8)Final Presentation
School - over for this year/term. We did our final presentations, they were awesome and fantastic. Our teachers said this is the best class with the best projects in ten years. Woohoo! My presentation consisted of me strutting around class in a corset, and trying to explain the social dynamics and psychology behind it, but then that being followed by everyone wanting to try on the corset and Amanda looking amazing in it. 😊

9)Closed down apartment. Lund was amazing, Pete, our Swedish friend was fantastic, said our goodbyes to Jonas as he’s in Stockholm for the summer, and gave up our keys. Off to Copenhagen!

10)This weekend, finally. Friday, another commercial-esque day. Began Thursday night with dinner with Dzl, Peter, and Sonny on Istegade, a street not unlike Hastings, with the combination of seedy moving into trendy, we ate at a Mexican place, in the more ‘trendy’ part. Then drinks on the deck of the barge, waking up late the next day, and having coffee in bed (my coffee maker from my apartment is now in my cabin, muhahaha). Changing into new sexy swimsuit to go out on the raft, suntanning in the middle of the water all day with a friend, going for a bike ride for brunch (hummas and eggplant sandwiches, oh yeah). More suntanning, remote controlled airplane flying, followed by sushi dinner, the first I’ve had in Scandinavia, and for good reason, expensive, but tasty, and I was treated to dinner, which was incredible and in very good company. Came back to babysit the barge for a party that was going on, and on, and on, until 4am, when I finally got to go to bed. Saturday was geeking away, followed by Mads and I going out for a few drinks in Copenhagen’s cocktail bars, and Vega nightclub, which is much like a big version of Republic in Vancouver, trendy and full of pretty people. We arrived, started up the empty dancefloor, a ton of people joined and we left, our job complete, get the party started. 😊 Sunday was home to a very nicely done brunch - yep, I made it, and yes, I’m being horribly proud. Jumping off and suntanning on the submarine, witnessing the arrival of the gas cannon for Roskilde festival, some more swimming, then playing with the gas cannon - see here: http://halfmachine.dk/posts/178.

Now, its almost 5am. I’ve been trying to sleep since 12. Had too much coffee at 11 and now I’m screwed. So I think I will go for a run. We’ll see.

Home in two days!

Vanessa

Advertisement



Tot: 0.164s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0967s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb