whats that falling from the sky? and themes from Copenhagens history


Advertisement
Denmark's flag
Europe » Denmark » Region Hovedstaden » Copenhagen
July 19th 2003
Published: July 19th 2003
Edit Blog Post

woke up to rain. Wait, whats rain? after the shock and novelty wore off i adjusted my plans for the day accordingly..
i guess i should start with yesterday. After swhitching Hostels to one with a comfortable bed, and free breakfast for 10kr less (6.5kr=$1), i hit the town. I walked up and across town, checking out city hall, and Nørrboro. I bought a much needed compression sack and clips for my bag, then spent some hours wandering the botanical gardens, where many danes were lounging in the sun. Then i headed to Rosenborg Slot, one of the castles. The outside was pretty and i really liked the thrones and the crown jewels, but i wasnt to into the rest.
There i accidentally found myself walking to the Resistance musuem with a really boring couple from LA, but thats what i get for trying to help. We actually had perfect timing arriving at the Musuem as we latched onto a historian giving a free tour of the musuem. So fascinating the details of the german-danish relationship durring the war. I am so glad that i went, it was really impressive. From there i went to see the little mermaid in the harbour, people watched and got dragged into another conversation with the LA couple who i had ditched after the museum. Walked back here to get changed, than back out for dnner. Hit an all you can eat buffet then crashed. sleeping rocks.

Today after a breakfast of lots of delicious danish bread ( the bread has a baguette like crust with the lightest softest inside), i went to Anja's to do some laundry and take a barefoot shower. I cannot get over how wonderfully nice they are!

The first musuem of the day was the musuem of the city of copenhagen. SO much history in such a small building... it took 3 hours, not the 1 i expected. The city burned down TWICE in the 1700's and because they never finished rebuilding the first time lead the city to be the most densly populated european city for about 10 years... that is all the random factoids for now.

From there i found a good smørrbord for lunch... those are traditional danish lunch sandwiches and they are good... kinda like open faced tea sandwiches. I got roast beef with fried onions, fried fish with lemon and something else and pate with pickels. sounds gross, but in actuality they were really good.
From there i went to Christianbørg Slot, the royal reciving palace... the white house of the royal family, the living palace is about 1km away.
It was built in 1903 as the Castle was torn down in the 1600s to build a modern palace, which burned down in one of the 1700s fires. The second burned down in the late 1800s. see the theme...
That palace had BEAUTIFUL new tapestries hung for the Queens 25th aniversery gala in the late 1990s. The tapestries depected the last 1000 years of danish history... AWESOME is the only way to describe them. a postcard of the 1900's one got a whole page in the scapbook.

Next was the candy factory... yum
Then the round tower where i ran into Beng, the guy in the bed next to mine at the hostel. We climbed the tower... great view, but Copenhagens skyline and roofs leave soemthign to be desired. We wandered a bit, then i picked up my laundry. THe night ended upon my return as my feet went on strike... so Tivoli will have to wait until tomorow evening. off to sleep now

ps Thank you SO much to everyone who sent me happy birthdays and ecards!!!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.171s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1345s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb