and now i have seen the original Zealand


Advertisement
Denmark's flag
Europe » Denmark » Region Sjælland » Roskilde
July 20th 2003
Published: July 20th 2003
Edit Blog Post

On Saturday Beng and I went out for one last day of expoloration (for me, at least) of Copenhagen.
Fist stop was back at the Christianborg Palace to checkout the basment wich contanains pieces of the 2 previous castles and 2 previous palace that haev stood on that point. mad cool, but dark.

The weather was perfect, and after another fanatastic sandwich of smoked salmon and avacado we headed to Christianhaven (a neighborhood on the other side of the water) and climbed a church tower with the spiral stairs on the outside of the builidng. A neat twist you could say.

I had to go to Christinia, as social expereiment dating from the 1960's where a bunch of hippies were squatters and mad a self suffienct community out of it. Lots of hash being sold on the street, and graffiti, but it is clean. They ahave great frontage on the water, and that was worth the long walk.

From there we walked along the marina and harbour to Nyhaven a road packed with cafes alnog a canal surrounded by brightly coloured buildings. It was hopping with people. An American bguy stopped us and asked Beng to take his photo. After hearing the accenet i asked where he was from... turns out he went to high school with my cousin richard. (its a small world...) So he joined Beng and i for more walking up to parks and around, thena traditional danish dinner of Herring and meat balls. yum.

Jon had been to Tivoli, so Beng and I headed over. Tivoli garderns i part rides, part bands, part aracde and part garden. i can't really explian it well except that it is pretty and it is fun with out the rides. The fireworks rocked, but the light show was better! We left right at closing (1am) and i was thrilled to sleep.

The it wass time to be out and explore Zealand, the island that Copenhagen is on. Beng and I went to the Viking Musuem in Roskilde. WOW. Roskilde is
an absolutely goregous little town and the musuem is set right on thw water. Not only that but part of the musuem is real viking ships and people using ancient tools to build a full size replica wich will be sailed next year. quite impressive.

After an hout riding through the country side, we were in Hillrod. Hillerod looks a little like Roskild minus the water, plus the most amazing Palace/Castle i have seen yet. It is just fantastic sitting on a lake. Instead of going in we chose to pay nothing and just circle the Palace. Youll just have to see the photos.

From there we headed back to copenhagen and i grabbed a train to Duisburg germany... with 2 smorrbord sandwiches in my hand... one with the great danish pickles.




Advertisement



16th July 2004

Is this the place New Zealand is named after?
20th January 2005

new zealand
i need to know ,is this the place newzealand is named after - velma

Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0583s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb