Oh so pretty Prague (the 2nd!)


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic
April 10th 2012
Published: June 14th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 50.1667, 14.4833

The camping on the outskirts of Prague, thankfully to most, was on an actual campsite, with showers, toilets and washing machines! Civilisation on the most basic level. Arriving after a trip to Tesco of all places (for a lunch shop and money change), the camp was set in glorious sunshine, so the tents were erected in flipflops and sunnies. Wifi meant that contact with the 'outside' was made possible and emails and blogs (like this one) were updated!! The afternoon and evening were actually lovely, as the group were starting to gel now. The seats for dinner were set up in the carpark (on a wing and prayer that no one else would rock up) and there was music and giggles over Carbonara! Some then went to the pub, whilst others stayed at camp to natter and right the wrongs of the world we had all left behind.

It was a warm night, and so even those not used to a night under canvas had a lovely sleep and lay in until 7am!

There was a dash to catch the bus into the city centre, 15 Brits running up the street waving at a czech bus driver, must have looked pretty amusing to the local crowds, looking out their windows at what all the commotion was about. Once the awkward conversation with this driver of what ticket we needed (with our complete lack of local dialect and his extreme lack of English understanding) and it was stamped in the little machine on the bus, we were off, praying that we were heading in the correct direction under the evil eyes of the locals, who found their usual quiet local bus over run with foreigners. Then there was the challenge of the metro at the end of the bus experience and the driver took pity on us, pointing to a set of stairs shouting 'metro, metro' at us. The 'red' line - (it really was the red line - not just me being simple like I am with the pretty coloured lines in London town!) was signed and the Muzeum station listed on the train, so with a wing and a prayer we jumped on it. Once arrived at the top of the New Town in Wenceslas Square, I got designated tour leader…. I hoped I remembered where I was going, but it seemed vaguely familiar after the last absinth filled weekend I had spent with Miss Pratt! We went through to the old square, past the astronomical clock, to Charles Bridge where a 'Good Luck' rub and a prayer were said as we went, then a hike up to the castle with stunning views over the city! We arrived within minutes of changing of the guards, with the soldiers dressed in their navy trench coats, embellished with gold and red. Marching with their bayoneted guns, shouting orders in Czech, with numerous stamps of the feet and lifting of the chins, it was all very impressive. After a lovely meal for 8, in a quaint, dingy backstreet restaurant, with a very friendly man, attempting to teach us some of the local dialect as we requested such a lesson of him! It is a hideous language to understand! We then headed back to the older part of town, for some additional photo shoots, along with the now present 15million other tourists that descended on the city for the afternoon sun! After an adventure down a ‘Bond Street' esque street towards the Jewish quarter we discovered that everything we were heading towards required a rockstar fortune, so made our way back to make the most of the sun at the campsite. The metro back was brilliant on the ‘red line' and then there was the bus… the f'ing bus…. we thought we were on the right bus – the 103, however it terminated half way…. Got shouted at by yet another driver to get off his bus!!! We walked the rest of the way, by following bus stop to bus stop! Thank god we knewish the random direction we had to go!!!

After dinner, all 20 of us piled into the local pub – bargain fishbowl of wine for a pound …. Can't complain…. Much banter and ‘drawsomethig' occurred and then wine fuelled sleep ensued!

A 5am wake up again, for a back on the road to the church of bones as our final stop in Czech. It was all a little creepy with chandeliers made from peoples bones that died within the community and warriors from an 19th century war. A candle was lit in remembrance of those that have perished near and far. It was then on the truck to Austria!!

Much Love xxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



12th April 2012

Just caught up on your travels - WOW - so much in such a little time - awesome!Keep on with the Blog - love it!x
13th April 2012

You seam to be enjoying yourself.I;t will only get better along with the weather.

Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0247s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb