Up the mountain, the first four kilometers


Advertisement
Published: July 6th 2005
Edit Blog Post

We set off up the trail. Our destination was four kilometers away, the largest natural sandstone arch in Europe. A huge group of school kids were ahead of us ... thank goodness they were ahead of us. In fact, we slowed so they would get far enough ahead that we could not hear them. When in the woods we prefer the sounds of nature to the sounds of 40 excited school children. I must say the kids were having a great time, and that is good.

We had been told the trail is quite steep and difficult. Pleasantly surprised we did not find the trail particularly steep nor particularly difficult. We have hiked more difficult trails in the Shenandoah National Park and climbing through the slot canyons, Peek-a-boo and Spooky, in Utah was more difficult.

We had climbed a half-hour or so when we came to a sign pointing to our right and saying that something was .2 kilometers away. That is only 440 yards. We looked at each other with a silent "Why not?" and off we set. I assumed it was an overlook ... and in a way it was, but it was much more than that. We discovered it was the location of the cave dwellers where some of the earliest human artifacts in Europe have been found. We immediately thought of Nancy's mother and how she enjoyed the "Clan of the Cave Bear" and the other books in that series by Jean Auel. To me the 'cave' is more like a huge overhang of sandstone. It would give good protection from the elements and I expect with a fire going a person could keep reasonably warm here during the winter. From the front of the cave there is a beautiful view of the mountains beyond. This cave, unlike the one we visited near Albuquerque, is very easy to get to and enter.

After visiting the cave we headed on up the trail arriving at the natural bridge about eleven in the morning

- Well, I can see I was ahead of myself with my comments on the last entry. I am editing these at home and didn't read ahead. This is the prehistoric cave I mentioned being glad we took time to visit. It was quite amazing. So large and obviously with such a long history. I wished I could go back in time and see the folks who used to live here. See how they dressed and lived, hear them talk and see what they spent their days doing. Definitely if you climb to the bridge, make this less than 5 minute detour.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0435s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb