Behind the 'Iron Curtain'.


Advertisement
Published: June 26th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


The Czech Border.The Czech Border.The Czech Border.

Right on the Czech / German border.
NOTE ON PHOTOGRAPHS:
Although I try to get photos in on the day of the entry, this is not always possible. So check back through the journal pages for added photos regularly. Image quality may vary too.


Day 24, 24th June.

Pommelsbruhn - Hirschau - Bor (CZECH REP) - Stribo - Plesniče

It was a damp night, everything was wet, but we were on the road for eight. Our first stop was in Sulzbach for bread and cakes. The town was preparing for a carnival, it would have been nice to stay but we had targets to meet. We stopped near Weiden on the route I took last year and I phoned Kathryn - she’s well and happy which also made me happy. Wonder what we’ll be doing together one year from now?

The roads towards the Czech border became busier with lots of international traffic. The last German town was Waidhaus, a little dead! The border was a small stream, we crossed at 2pm into the Czech Republic and had a beer near the border station after changing some money into Crowns. We were now officially in Eastern Europe, behind the old Iron Curtain, a change had been made having now leaving the west, everything onwards from here would steadily become different and unfamiliar. We each bought road maps at Primda then rolled down a fantastic hill at 47 mph! The hills around us were beautiful, blue skies, and lots of flies on the uphill sections. We passed through Bor and in Stribo we had pizza for dinner in a cheap restaurant before carrying on to the campsite listed on the map near Plesnice.

Total Miles: 1171.17 Todays Miles: 87.06 Average speed: 11.6 Time on bike: 7:30

ADDITIONAL: As we enter Eastern Europe it is time to consider our goals, or our milestone destinations during this trip. We have come up with 5 major stages:

1. ODESA - in Ukraine, on the Black sea coast.
2. LAKE BAIKAL - in Russian Siberia, we have to get there before winter!
3. BEIJING - a key milestone with the Gobi Desert behind us.
4. HONG KONG - for Christmas and the New Year.
5. SINGAPORE - our ultimate destination…. A year away?


Day 25, 25th June.

Plesniče - Plzeň - Beroun - Prague

The camp site was full of mozzies
Czech Border windmills.Czech Border windmills.Czech Border windmills.

Nice to see tha old communist country is using wind-power.
but okay. We ate a hearty breakfast of cheese toasties, fried cheese and chips before setting off for Prague. It was hilly all the way there with a stop off at a lovely roadside restaurant in Kare for lunch and an ice-cream sundae. The ride into Prague from the outskirts of the city was a great big downhill….. to the river which used to be called the Moldau*. Our camp ground was on a type of island and was expensive at KC200 per night**. Still, they had cheap beers and we drank many before deciding to pitch the tents in the dark. Rory’s brother*** and his Czech girlfriend came around for supper I’d cooked. Crashed out at midnight.

*Moldau - the river which runs through Prague is now known as The Vltava. The composer, Smetana, created the classic ‘The Moldau’ during Germanic times.

**KC200 - 200 Czech Crowns is about 4 pounds, or 7 dollars US. A beer in Prague can be around KC50, in the countryside it’s only KC5 for the same beer!

***Rory’s brother - Rowan, is younger than Rory and shares a flat in a suburb of Prague.


Total Miles: 1245.54 Todays
Czech CrownsCzech CrownsCzech Crowns

Basically, it's around 50 to the pound and you can change cash at the border at a decent rate.
Miles: 74.36 Average speed: 11.3 Time on bike: 6:34



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Czech RepublicCzech Republic
Czech Republic

Czech entry stamp, centre left.
PilsenPilsen
Pilsen

The heat is on with an uphill out of the city.


Tot: 0.317s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 23; qc: 99; dbt: 0.1158s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb