olomouc! (pronounced oh-lo-moats)


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic » Prague
July 26th 2006
Published: July 26th 2006
Edit Blog Post

olomouc!olomouc!olomouc!

a view of the upper part of town from our cafe during lunch
dear diary...

lol- just kidding. (little inside joke for my posse in the czech rep.)

tonight we got back from olomouc-- not the most "exciting" town (as far as tourist attractions and things to do at night go) but it was pretty exciting in that i had 2 drinks last night! (another first in the alcoholic world for maxine)

we took a 10:00 a.m. train yesterday, and arrived about 3 hours later. malvina and marketa took us to our dorm so we could dump our luggage- it was 2 to a room! which worked out very, very well. yay for dionne getting her own room (another little joke for my posse)!

they took us to lunch at this cute, cheap pub to grab some lunch-- i had kofola (which if i haven't mentioned is this awesome brand of Czech cola that has half the caffeine and half the sugar) and a "pancake" with spinach. lovely, lovely.

in other news- i just discovered that katie posted a gross picture of me sleeping on her travelblog. this upsets me. and she'd better know that i'm going to scare her in her sleep....

after lunch, malvina and marketa
olomouc!olomouc!olomouc!

a view at night-- this is their plague statue (built by the people to give thanks for being spared from the plague)
took us over to palacky university, the main "attraction" in olomouc (it's a college town- marketa did her undergraduate here). one of the professors gave us a lecture entitled "20th century of ece"--this was a pretty interesting lecture. it's just amazing how much we don't get to learn about these countries: czechoslovakia (since we're learning history), hungary, poland-- we've never spent much time learning about these countries in history classes, so all of the information is pretty much brand new. the countries have such deep history- it's fascinating!

then the "vice rector" of the university gave us a short presentation on the school and its history. rachel had a little crush on him because he apparently looks like her boyfriend but more filled out, but then later she decided she couldn't because he smokes. that kept us laughing for a few minutes- we're so 5.

after they gave us a short tour of the town, we pretty much had the evening to ourselves. we ate pizza for dinner (we eat a LOT of italian food) and then we split up for a little while because rachel accidentally left her camera on the train and so she had to
first drinks! (+maxine)first drinks! (+maxine)first drinks! (+maxine)

dionne's caipirinha, my cosmo and sarah's swimming pool
go pick it up. katie offered to go with her, and so dionne, sarah and i decided we would find a bar! (pretty much the only thing going on- on a tuesday night in a small, college town.)

we found this pretty, fun little place- and this is where i had my 2 drinks. i originally was just going to have one-- i ordered a cosmopolitan (see picture, which actually features all three of our first drinks), but then i tried dionne's mojito later and decided i had to have one. it's officially my new favorite drink (not that i have a ton to compare to). but it's really yummy. and i felt fine after both (which was my big concern) but i'll probably just stick to one drink from now on-- just in case.

today we woke up, had breakfast and met up for another lecture presented by the vice rector. this time it was "nationalism in ECE"-- all of these lectures are kind of alike, all expounding on the topic of the history of the countries, which continues to be interesting. this lecture everyone liked a little more though- it was a little more organized, and
mojitomojitomojito

my new favorite drink
a little easier to follow.

after the lecture, malvina took us to this church and its archdiocesan museum (it was an ok exhibit- a collection of religious art; kind of interesting though because the former pope really pushed for this museum to be created) and a modern art musuem. they had this awesome exhibit of rock and roll concert posters- really psychadelic lol.

then we had about 4 hours to kind of explore the town- we ate lunch, and shopped around--- we found a great crystal shop, and i found a beatiful vase for my mom! katie, rachel and sarah also found gifts as well. later we all met up, and caught the train back to prague.

tomorrow we don't have anything scheduled until 2:00, so my posse will be heading over to the prague castle in the morning! should be a great day-

Advertisement



27th July 2006

mojito!
hahaha sarah always talks about those. she'll be thrilled to hear you had one
27th July 2006

wowww that first picture looks just like old town wroclaw (where your dad was born!) minus the plague statue thing. yay!!!! glad you are having fun!
27th July 2006

no comment!
you've officially tried more different drinks than i have, so the contest is now over! you win! thanks for the vase in advance! get more sleep! love you!

Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 6; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0836s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb