The Trip Continues


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic » Prague
June 2nd 2006
Published: June 2nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

We had a slow start. My flight from Las Vegas to Chicago was delayed and I missed my Munich connection. Good news was that my good friends Mary and Fred Garzino came to the rescue and gave me a bed for the night as well as dinner and a good visit.

Arrived in Munich Sunday to pouring rain. Has been cold and raining in varying degrees ever since, but have still been able to see the sights and do some biking. The RV is small, but that makes it easier to drive. Tight space, but lots of storage and has everything we need. We have camped alternately in very well maintained campgrounds or in gas station/rest stops on the highway. This is acceptable in Europe.

Bought bikes in Munich and went to the Hofbrauhaus in honor of Joyce. Excellent roast pork and beer. We left on Monday for Vienna which took most of the day. Spent on day biking on the banks of the Danube. Finished our ride just before the hard rain started. We spent the next day visiting historic Vienna which included a tour of major buildings including the State Opera House, coffee and pastry at the Central Cafe and a tour of St. Stephen's Cathedral with a fantastic view of the city from the catwalk on the roof. We attended noon mass at the cathedral, but could recognize very few words in the service. Could detect when they did the Lord's Prayer.

Left Vienna yesterday and made it most of the way to Prague. Stopped at a rest stop in heavy rain about 40 miles from the city. Ate goulash and roasted pork neck with saurkraut at the little restaurant. Very good, but looking forward to some green veggies. Made it to Prague around 8 this morning and are now downtown in historic Prague. Do have blue skies today for the first time. Bill, here is a recipe for you. David has this for breakfast today. Start with an 8" fry pan, line the outer rim with thin deli sliced baloney. Leave the center empty and crack three large eggs to go in the center. Cover the eggs with more baloney leaving the very center open. Cover and cook until bottom is crispy and top set. Serve with green and white cabbage slaw and canned red peppers. Quite filling. David had with coffee, but recommends beer.

For those of you who lost weight and are looking for it, start in central Europe. Nothing is low fat here.

Have been taking pictures, but won't be able to post any today. Was hard to find internet access in Germany and Austria, but easily found it today. Hope to send messages more frequently with some pictures soon.

Have used the GPS to navigate and it is great. Best part is that it tells you where you are as well as where you are going. Having a great time. Will send next message from Germany. Our world cup game is a week from today. David and Barb

Advertisement



2nd June 2006

Glad that you made it to Munich
Barb -- So good to hear that you arrived....and are enjoying the blog. Since we're headed to Prague on our trip, we're interested in what you two find especially fun there. Take care, Mary

Tot: 0.396s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0864s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb