Old Town Clock Tower


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic » Prague
December 28th 2008
Published: February 18th 2009
Edit Blog Post

First view of the Old Clock TowerFirst view of the Old Clock TowerFirst view of the Old Clock Tower

If you are walking from Mustek. Yes, the street is narrow.

I believe every tourist who visits Prague goes to see the astronomical clock in the tower at the edge of Old Town Square. The clock which is known as the Orloj, is rather in the lower half of the tower. Near the top there is a more modern clock on all four sides of the tower. But it is the Orloj that brings everyone here to see a new hour rung in. As the hour is struck two doors open just above the clock and there is a parade of the Apostles, out one door and then disappearing through the other. A skeleton rings a bell and a rooster crows, reminding all that time waits for no man and we all face death.

At the top of the tower is a covered observation deck that, when open, is always crowded with people taking photographs and viewing the city. Fortunately there is an elevator that runs from the third floor to the observation deck. The elevator is round and holds about six people per trip. There is also a ramp, not steps, that a person can use to walk up or down. Take it from me, down is much easier.




Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0614s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb