Predictably Prague


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic » Prague
October 18th 2008
Published: October 22nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

With feet firmly planted back on European soil and parents visiting from NZ, we decided to visit the place that every ‘Kiwi living in London’ has already been: Prague.

Thanks to a hostel-world booking we stayed in an amazing apartment. It was really central, huge and had the most amazing views over the rooftops. For once, getting out of London Gatwick was quite painless on good old Easy Jet and we were in Prague to enjoy Friday night.

Luckily the weather gods smiled upon us and we were blessed with stunning autumn weather. Very, very cold but bright blue skies lit up the trees and parks giving the city a magical feel.

Prague itself was pretty much what I expected. A ‘chocolate box’ town bursting with beautiful buildings and lovely views.

On the downside, Prague attracts its share of Leery Lager Louts celebrating ‘stag parties’ (just over an hours flight from London) and thousands of tour groups. Forget trying to explore the old town after 9am when Charles Bridge is swarming with flag bearing tour groups all jostling for space and getting in each other’s photos.
Luckily we managed to beat the crowds by getting out of bed early and doing most of our exploring at 7am! After doing all the sights on Saturday, Sunday saw Chris and I walking up to the hillside parks to climb up Prague’s version of the Eifel Tower. We then made the tram ride out to the very atmospheric Olsanské Cemetery which was beautiful in the autumn light.

After enjoying a few Chez beers and tearing Mum away from those (horrendous) souvenir shops, we were soon winging our way back to London.




Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Charles Bridge Charles Bridge
Charles Bridge

swarming with tourists at 10am


Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0401s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb