Prague Castle


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic » Prague
September 4th 2008
Published: September 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Minstral 26 secs
Mucha's Stained Glass WindowMucha's Stained Glass WindowMucha's Stained Glass Window

At St. Vitus Cathedral
Today we ventured up to Prague Castle early in the morning getting to St. Vitus Cathedral just before the tourist hoards arrived. The gothic and neo-gothic cathedral is spectacular but the real treasure is the stained glass window by Mucha.

From the Cathedral we wandered through the Old Royal Palace and then through the Chapel with fake St. John's bones.

We wandered down to Golden Lane - a beautiful little street that they charge to walk down (fortunately it was included in our "Long" ticket price). Named after the alchemists who once did their experiments here, it is now a lovely little street with expensive tourist souvenirs. Kafka lived at #22 and wrote the Country Doctor while living in this tiny apartment.

From there we walked down to what used to be a dungeon and torture chamber at the castle and then on out to the glamerous view over the beautiful city of Praha. We missed it before because the spire is temporarily closed in the catherdral so we could not climb to the top.

We got dinner at this great Thai restaurant around the corner from the Imperial Hotel where Chrissy is staying. After an excellent dinner we got a drink at the Imperial Hotel's cafe. I tried the famous Czech bitter known as Becherovka. Quite good.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Prague CastlePrague Castle
Prague Castle

St. Vitus Cathedral
Golden LaneGolden Lane
Golden Lane

The street is named after those who once practiced alchemy here. Franz Kafka lived at #22 for a time.


Tot: 0.314s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 63; dbt: 0.2061s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb