Castles and Kofola.


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic » Prague
July 18th 2008
Published: July 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

You may have noticed that yesterday's entry was a litttle short. Because i will end up always writing the short entries, Laura has asked that we switch. So today will be written by Stuart again.

Prague has some really big escalators on the underground, i just thought i'd mention it. In fact look at our first picture for today. It's huge!

We took a slow walk in the drizzle up to the castle in the morning. Now i'm not quite sure what constitutes a castle but i wasn't sure Prague Castle quite fitted my check list. It's beautiful, but it seemed to me to be battlements surrounding two cathedrals. There isn't actually a building really you could point at and say theres the castle. Castle or not, it was stunning up there, i really appreciated the chance to get above the city and look down on it. You get a completely different feel for a place if you can do that.

Now Prague has a tv mast on top of it's tallest hill in the shape of the Eiffel tower and i really wanted to go and see it. The mast is located in "petrin". I had seen "Petriny" on the map and asked Laura if she meant Petriny.. she said she thought that sounded about right. Notice the difference? Petrin is where the tower is located... Petrin-Y is a half hour tram ride to the middle of nowhere. Lucky for us as we reached the desolate Petrin-Y our tram passes ran out, we managed to take a sneaky one back to where we'd gone wrong and start again.

The mast is 62m high and the view from the top looks like it would be great, however to myself and Laura it didn't look seven quid each good. We settled for an undercooked beef burger and something called Fried cheese... Laura said it was nice if not a little greasy. We actually found quiet an easy and beautifull way down the hill, which having struggled up the difficult way was a nice surprise.

The rain set in heavy once we got into town, so we rushed to a supermarket to buy our supper. I picked out Goulash which is a traditional czech dish and Laura had some pasta thing. Of course upon getting home Laura did her usual "Yours looks better" and we ended up sharing mine.

I made Laura try Kofola, it was the produce of a Czech experiment into what to do with excess caffeine caused when grinding coffee beans down. It sold very well this side of the iron curtain when it was still up as no massive import tax was placed on it like Cola. (Laura's Kofola face is hilarious take a peek)

In the evening we walked into the old part of town to see the oldest Synagogue in Europe and the old town square. It was all very beautiful, if you haven't been to Prague yet i urge you to go.... NOW.


Stuart
..
U

Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 35; dbt: 0.0437s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb