It's the journey not the play, honest


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic » Prague
November 7th 2007
Published: November 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Nice looking theatreNice looking theatreNice looking theatre

Too bad it was not the one to see Romeo and Julliet in
As someone said it's the journey not the destination that matters so who would have thought that a trip to see a bit of culture would turn into more of a journey then a destination. The plan was to head across town on the tram to the theatre near the main train station and watch Romeo and Julliet. It's important to realise that like any major city Prague has more then one venue where you can watch such shows. After checking the ticket and looking up the map there were two options, the tram and a bit of a walk or the metro. Option A sounded good as you get to see a bit of the streetscape along the way. Good plan so far, until we got off the tram a couple of stops early and then walked through the drizzle for more then a few blocks to arrive in the vicinity of the theatre. I say vicinity because while we could see it getting to it was one of those cross the street walk down a block and then re-cross the street past the McDonalds and through the underpass under the street to the theatre.

Walk on in present
This is also a nice looking theatreThis is also a nice looking theatreThis is also a nice looking theatre

It would be the one that Romeo and Julliet was being staged in. It almost looks that same from the outside.
the ticket to the usher, who then mutters something in Czech and then something to her colleague. It must have been the now perfected blank look that encouraged her to speak in english and tell me that I was at the wrong theatre. She was kind enough after some prompting to direct us to where the other theatre was. The prompting was me shoving a map under her nose and pointing to a few different buildings that may have been theatres. Now fans of the Amazing Race would be able to picture what happened next. A mad dash across town, subway map in one hand, street map in the other with the glimmer of hope that there would be no detours or road blocks on the way.

After changing metro lines twice and emerging to street level to be confronted with signs that didnt make sense to the map (map in english, signs in Czech) and a few aimless walking around in not quite circles we found it. Sprint on in and present the tickets, all good so I thought, wonder down to the seats and the kind usher, who looked like the wallabies front row should recruit her
I think they paid more money to be up thereI think they paid more money to be up thereI think they paid more money to be up there

But we made it to the cloak room after the show quicker then them!
pointed us in the direction of the cloak room. So close but so far, down to the chaos of the cloak room to check the jackets and dash back upstairs just in time to get in through the door into our seats before the kind usher slammed it shut.

Oh and the play was pretty good actually, Romeo was not the most attractive man around, but Julliet looked ok, plus it was a nice bit of drama that used roses as javelins to great effect.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0942s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb